Fast Idle Lever Not Moving Spark Advance on '89 88 SPL

smittybuilt

Recruit
Grandfather bought boat before he passed back in '89. Boat sat unused for 15-17 years. I got it last summer and started getting it water ready once again. Now motor runs great after lots of updates including water pump, carb rebuilds, new steering and control cables and herein lies the issue. I replaced the cables per the old lengths. Gear shifter works like a champ. Throttle cable works great after initial start up when cold. It's not allowing the Fast Idle Lever to advance the spark when connected to the motor. When disconnected (not under tension with the trunion nut) I can see plenty of movement. Put it back in place and nothing. Is this an issue with adjustement of the cable at either end or do is it possible that I have a bad cable??? Currently when I get to the water I take off the hood and manually advance the spark until warm and all is well the rest of the day.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The fast idle lever does move the throttle linkage, but usually not much. If yours does not move at all, possible the sync and link adjustment is not correct or the throttle cable is not adjusted properly at the engine end. If you move the throttle linkage by hand, the cable should move it the same distance. Adjusting the cable would be a good place to start. That cable can be adjusted with the thumbwheel by the end of the cable. If that does not do the trick, then re-check the sync and link