Faria Tacho

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a faria tacho on my 93 tohatsu 90hp.<br />I am having difficulty getting it to work properly. I have it on the correct pole setting but it reads randomly under about 3000rpms. It just sort of bounces around. Above 3000rpms it smooths out and reads what i think is about correct. Anyone had any experience with this?<br />Thanks.

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Faria Tacho

The Tohatsu tach signal is inherantly noisy. The tacho is seeing the noise spikes as a tach signal and trying to read it as such. Try wiring a .1uf 100v non-polarized capacitor between the signal post and the ground post of the tacho. This should chop the noise spikes down and smooth the tach out for you.

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok. i saw that on the info sheet but thought i would see if anyone has had luck with it first!<br />Thanks, i will give it a try.

marmon77

Cadet

Hey gauge guy I have the same gauge but on a different motor, Johnson 150. The tach zeros out and I've checked for power to both leads and it's good. Just wanted to know if there was any other way to check it?

gaugeguy

Captain

Hi M.A.<br />Using a multimeter, take a volts (AC) reading between the S and G terminals on the tach. At idle you should get about 3-4 volts AC and it should increase to 5-7 VAC around 2000 RPM. If you get these voltages the tach is more than likely bad, if the voltages aren't there your rectifier has headed south.

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks gaugeguy, that has made it heaps better!!<br />Haven't had it on the water yet but i can't see that making a difference.