Faria depth gauge not working

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All

I bought a used boat this summer and the depth gauge just blinks zero.

It has a through hull transducer, and once it showed the depth, but promptly started showing incorrect numbers.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

There was a gap in the sealant on the bottom of the hull. I assume a through hull is not like a shoot through where water betwen the transducer and hull is bad.

I am open to any thoughts, as the marina I took the boat to says they don't see anything wrong.

Thanks

John880

Cadet
Re: Faria depth gauge not working

I bought a new Faria gauge from Great Lakes Skipper for only $59.95 and that fixed the problem. The original was only 2 years old but they apparently do not last too long.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Hi All

I bought a used boat this summer and the depth gauge just blinks zero.

It has a through hull transducer, and once it showed the depth, but promptly started showing incorrect numbers.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

There was a gap in the sealant on the bottom of the hull. I assume a through hull is not like a shoot through where water betwen the transducer and hull is bad.

I am open to any thoughts, as the marina I took the boat to says they don't see anything wrong.

Thanks

It's "thrugh hull" transducer that's mounted through a hole cut in the hull or a "shoot through the hull" transducer that's glued to the inside of the hull or mounted in a fluid filled cup glued to the inside of the hull? It makes a difference.

If it's blinking zero, I would suspect the transducer or wiring, not the gauge itself. Also, I disagree with the suggestion that they "do not last too long."

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am almost positive it is a through hull transducer, as there is a black puck on the bottom of my boat that you can see when on the trailer.

Thanks

rwidman

Lieutenant

I am almost positive it is a through hull transducer, as there is a black puck on the bottom of my boat that you can see when on the trailer.

Thanks

Well then, I would check the wiring to make sure nothing is unplugged or broken. You say it worked for a while, right?

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I checked the wires as best as i could before taking it in, but unfortunately, the wires run in the main harness and are damn near impossible to trace.

The time that the gauge worked was a one off time, and it was kind of flukey because it hasn't worked since I got the boat, and then one day BLIP..it works for a minute then goes back to showing zero. While it worked it seemed to show the correct depth for a few mments and then started showing random depths that I am almost positive ar ewrong, but I was moving slowly at the time with a fully loaded boat.

Cheers