Fall fishing weather

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class
For the past several days, it's been unseasonbly warm here - mid 80's and muggy. Tomorrow will begin the start of strong cold front that'll bring the temp down into the 50s all the way through the weekend. If you had to make a guess, what will this do to the fish activity this weekend? During the spring and summer, these conditions make fishing much tougher. Now that it's fall, do the same rules apply? I hear guys talking about how it's too warm and they're just waiting for a long cold snap to happen... I'm not that experienced fishing during the fall yet, so I'm trying learn how things work during this part pf the season.

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fall fishing weather

Fall fishing is pretty much dictated by water temp. When the water falls into the 70s the bass will start moving in the creeks following the bait that has begun to school and move shallow. I generally use a spinnerbait lipless crank or shallow crank to find them. Depending on the clairty of the water i go with natural shad colors or crawdad.

LubeDude

Admiral

You are not going to see any drop in water temp very fast untill you get some rain along with the cold temps. Just the fall in the barometer may trigger some action though before the front actually hits.

gonefishie

Commander

yeah tell me about it! I have a federation classic this weekend on that natural lake I was talking about on the dock bait thread. I've been thinking about my strategies over and over with the anticipation of the cold front. Practice two weekend ago was good, air temp was still warm. Practice last weekend sucked because of the cold front came through last wed/thurs/fri. Hopefully part of the reason I didn't do as well last weekend as the week before because I didn't fished where I had already found fish and explored other areas of the lake.