fake pvc valve, air elbow and gommet coming from valve covers, mine are leaking.....

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Mercruiser 4.3lx 1996, it has rubber grommets with plastic hollow elbows in the valve covers instead of actual pvc valves. Mine leak a little oil around the elbow. It looks like someone has tried to glue them before. My friend replaced his with actual pvc valves from a car. Not sure what they do or how that would affect it. It would be one solid piece and alot cheaper. Any ideas, should i just order new elbows and grommets or actual pvc valves. Thanks jason

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: fake pvc valve, air elbow and gommet coming from valve covers, mine are leaking..

Mercruiser 4.3lx 1996, it has rubber grommets with plastic hollow elbows in the valve covers instead of actual pvc valves.

That is what is supposed to be there. No PCV valve. If the elbows are cracked, replace them. They are a Mercruiser part.

xltier

Chief Petty Officer
Re: fake pvc valve, air elbow and gommet coming from valve covers, mine are leaking..

pvc only works if hooked to engine vacumn.

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My elbow is not cracked, it just leaks around elbow where it connects with the grommet. Is it easy to replace the grommet? i know the elbow just pulls out. Thanks I thought the pvc replacement must be a bad idea because it would have came with it.