Fair price for service???

JStutz

Seaman Apprentice
As posted eariler, I had trouble with a leaking lower unit. The local shop isolated the trouble to a defective shift shaft seal. They are going to replace the seal, gimbal bearing (worn), water pump (not sure when it was replaced last), and speedometer assembly (missing since I bought the boat).<br /><br />The quote they gave me was around $450.00. Does that seem resonable? I never had boat work done before. I generally have done my own maintenance.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Jeff Stutz

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Fair price for service???

For me, that's sounds almost too cheap. Check that they are using genuine parts. And that you get your old parts back. (proves they replaced them)<br /><br />Chris...........

DHPMARINE

Captain

I'm not sure what you mean by speedometer assembly,so it's hard to say.<br /><br />If the speedo work is just the parts in the drive,$450 sounds high.BUT if they are resealing the drive,not just replacing the shift shaft seal, the price is reasonable.<br /><br />DHP

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I assumed the $450 was for the shift shaft seal, gimbal bearing and water pump impeller, and a speedo head; and the labour involved. Correct me if I'm wrong. (It does happen :D )<br /><br />Chris............

Capt Ken

Commander

Sounds very fair too me. Not too cheap and not outrageous.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

gimbal bearing is about $60 takes an hour to change without salt. water pump takes about an hour and the kit is about $100 the genII shift shaft seal takes an addition 20 min while the water pump is being done. what is this assy your refering to? if its just the connector at the lower unit takes 10 min to replace with the drive installed,less with it removed unless its snaped off flush. then its 15 min with the drive off. 8 dollar gasket kit and misc shop supplies. what is the labor rate in your area? three hours would be normal providing no engine alignment or upper shift shaft seal defects are present. not sure on what your speedo issue is. so far your at about168- 200 for parts.

JStutz

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry for the lack of info on the speedometer. When I bought the boat last year the speedometer didn't work. Reason being the small hose out the back of the boat wasn't connected to anything. The shop said it was a $7.00 part to make it work. One of those things I really don't have to have but for $7.00 and I don't have to guess at what parts I need, might as well get it fixed!<br /><br />Like I said before, up until now have done all my on maintenance on all my vehicles. Lower units are just a little foreign to me. I must admit it will be nice to just pick the boat up fixed then jacking around with it in my driveway for two days!<br /><br /><br />Thanks for the posts!<br /><br />Jeff