Fair price for a pontoon - Updated

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Friends of ours are moving and offered to sell us their pontoon. It is an older Grumman 21 foot pontoon (not 100% about the length). It had the wood floor replaced 2 years ago with new carpet. It also got a new Yamaha 70hp 2 stroke. The boat and motor sit out in the water (fresh) with no cover. <br /><br />The motor has had a few problems with water in the gas in the past because the guy who owns it doesn't like to close the vent on his plastic gas tank. <br /><br />The interior consists of 2 marine grade lockers across the back with cushions (good shape) and a console and captains chair. That's about it.<br /><br />The boat is in Florida and I have seen much nicer pontoons for sale with larger motors for $8,000. These folks are hoping for 5 or 6k. I'm thinking 3-4k would be generous. <br /><br />Thoughts? I have a decent boat I like, but a pontoon would be good for my little kids out easier. I'm not in any rush to change boats, but wouldn't mind a deal :)

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral
Re: Fair price for a pontoon - Updated

Everybody always thinks their old junk is worth full price. I would lean more towards the lower side of the 3-4k.<br />Somethings to consider in the price:<br />How new is that yamaha? <br />The length of the boat really does factor in to the price.<br />Does it have a bimini? What condition?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, that would be the clincher. How "New" is the motor and how "old" is the toon? How's the furniture?(Not cheap to replace) Trailer included? Do yourself a favor and have the engine checked out be a Mechanic. Worth the time and money. I'm sure your friend would understand...

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The motor is less than 3 years old and has maybe 50 hours on it. The toon itself is an mid 80s model (what year did Grumman turn into Lowe?) Last time I had it out it ran good. No real furniture in it and the trailer would be included.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

So really, the motor and trailer are gonna be the bread and butter in this transaction. The 80's boat with no furniture really isn't worth much by itself. Figure the trailer is worth between $500.00-$600.00 and the motor, if it's a lets say,a 2002 model, is probably worth at least a couple thousand(Heck, NADA puts a 2000 70 HP low retail at $2,760) then $3000.00-$4000.00 would be in the ballpark for the whole shebang... Just my take on it and what it might go for around my area. It's really the motor that makes this deal worthwhile at all....

kywildcat

Seaman

In 2002 I bought a 24' Grumman for 6250.00. It came with a 70 horse Evinrude and tandem trailer. The whole outfit was a 93 model. It was laid out with full couches and sundeck on the back and two full couches in the front that converted to a bed. They even threw in a full set of enclosures. I hope some of this info is helpful to you.

kywildcat

Seaman

In 2002 I bought a 24' Grumman for 6250.00. It came with a 70 horse Evinrude and tandem trailer. The whole outfit was a 93 model. It was laid out with full couches and sundeck on the back and two full couches in the front that converted to a bed. They even threw in a full set of enclosures. I hope some of this info is helpful to you.

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Our friends did some research and settled on 3,000 for the boat and trailer. I should have it Thursday and will post some pictures. I'll have some cleanup and maintenance to do on it, but should have it in the water by the weekend.

nlkent

Cadet

If you ran the fuel through a water seperator filter before the engine, the water in the fuel problem would go away. You need to vent those tanks or they will get dangerous when it's hot.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i wish i could pick one up like that.

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got it home today. Considering the bearings on one side of the axel re shot, I'm comfortable that the 3K was fair for everyone :) Have some cleaning and maintenance to do before it goes back in the water.<br /><br />
toon1.jpg
<br /><br />
toon2.jpg
<br /><br />Scooch

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Nice lookin' ride! Might want to replace the carpet on the trailer before long. Looks like ya came out ahead... ;)

tashasdaddy

you did very well. find me one like it for the same price.

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are no rules of acquisition when it comes to boats.... :)

tashasdaddy

suggestion; try Formula 88, it is a cleaner & degreaser. it has made my life much easier. cleans everything. even the water line. found it a Lowes for $5.00 qt spray bottle, tried it like it,, then saw it at Advanced Auto Parts, for $6.00 a gallon. believe me i bought it on the spot. i buy old dirty, nasty boats and resell them after the facelift.