Failing Rectifier-Tach Association

kyudizky

Seaman
the following is some advise/info i was given elsewhere, but it contradicts much of what I have searched and read here on iboats, specifially your post/replies Spinnerbait Nut/joe reeves.

in regard to a failing rectifier:

"It may or may not affect your tach, a single diode in the voltage regulator could fry and you would still have a good a/c signal for tach, but the regulator would not convert to dc to charge your battery. "

Is there any truth to this?

Battery not charging, tach works great. Not sure if its the rectifier of stator?

petryshyn

Commander
Re: Failing Rectifier-Tach Association

"It may or may not affect your tach, a single diode in the voltage regulator could fry and you would still have a good a/c signal for tach, but the regulator would not convert to dc to charge your battery. "

Yes. And also don't forget, if the tach is connected directly to the stator, it will still read fine if the rec/reg has gone south....

Cheers :)

aclmvh

Seaman

Keep in mind a rectifier and regulator are two completely different components. Some engines are unregulated with rectifiers and some are regulated without rectifiers. Mine is unregulated (6 amp) and the tach is connected to the rectifier.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The rectifier and regulator may or may not be completely separate units. The rectifier and regulator may be combined in a single assembly with the tach feed coming from that assembly. Depending on the internals structure of that assembly a failing rectifier diode may or may not affect the tach. It depends on the design. The simple test for the stator is in the service manual.