Faded jelcoat

rv8tor

Cadet
Hi all,

Just bought a 1999 19' Stingray that has been spending some time sitting in the sun. I would like to know if automotive clear coat polishing compound is safe to use on boats for bringing back the shine. If not, what can be used to polish this boat?

Also, I have some rust staining on the gelcoat surface from some rusted hardware. What can be used to remove this safely without damaging the gelcoat?

Jeff

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Faded jelcoat

Auto clearcoat polishing compound probably won't be enough to bring back a shine. Get a product called "Fiberglass Restorer" or similiarly named product. Meguire's, 3M, Mother's all make one. These products work, and they'll remove the rust stains too.

a70eliminator

Captain

I used half a gallon of meguires oxidation remover and burned out a $79.00 polisher on my faded 1990 red/white Chaparral 20' but it was well worth the effort. If you have rusted hardware then remove it ASAP. and replace with stainless hardware, there shouldn't be any rusted metal on a boat, other than engine sheetmetal and cast iron.

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wet sand it with 600 - to 1000 grit paper followed by a power buffer with rubbing compound.

dregsfan

Seaman Apprentice

Spend a little money and hire a professional detailer to buff out the gel coat. A good one will do a better job than any of us could ever do. I had my 18' sailboat's hull done last month for $200. He started at 8:15AM and finished at 1:45PM. The hull is dark green and looked gray from all the gelcoat chalk. Looks great now. Well worth the $200.

rv8tor

Cadet

Please explain vasoline... What does that do? I talked with an employee today at WestMarine that suggested first using something called "On Off". She said it was a hull cleaner designed to get all the stuff off the hull before you began to buff out the oxidation.

What do you all say about that?

TilliamWe

Banned

Search vasoline on here, you'll find an interesting thread. It works, but it doesn't really remove the oxidation.

On/Off or toilet bowl cleaner will clean the hull. But in your case, soap and water will work too. Since you are going to be using an abrasive compund to remove the oxidation, what does it really matter how clean the hull is before you start? Unless you have actual marine plant growth on there. Then yes, clean the hull with an acid based cleaner (like On/Off $$$$$ or toilet boewl cleaner $), then start buffing away.

skargo

Banned

Vaseline indeed DOES remove oxidation. ;)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I had trouble with the "vaseline" idea till I tried it. Works like a charm and still looking great. So much less work for great results. My boat still looks a million bucks and I did it over a month ago.

rv8tor

Cadet

This boat has spent the bulk of it's life sitting on a trailer, and not in the water. The hull looks just fine, so I suppose I really don't need the On & Off. I only have one good rust streak that I need to get rid of, and of course the rest of the boat with oxidation.

I'll research the Vaseline threads and see what they say.

Jeff

rv8tor

Cadet

Some interesting stuff about Vaseline. What could I safely use to get rid of rust stains on the gelcoat though?

Jeff

OnTheWaterNow

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was doing some work on my boat. came across the vas trick so I tried it.Boat looked great I also gained 2.5 mph on top end. Not sure if it was from the vas or the new prop.:D

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Some interesting stuff about Vaseline. What could I safely use to get rid of rust stains on the gelcoat though?

Jeff

supermarket...Mr Clean's Magic Eraser...its a boaters best friend

skargo

Banned

supermarket...Mr Clean's Magic Eraser...its a boaters best friend

Agreed! Oh man, it's gonna snow ;)

I used it them the car biz, and we them at our shop now. They make some that are extra durable as well, worth the extra money IMO.

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

What about using a clay bar? I just did my Envoy and it did a fantastic job of smoothing out the paint that felt like fine sandpaper before I clay-barred it. Not sure what it would do for a boat though. Luckily mine has been kept waxed since new, so no oxidation and I already put another coat of wax on it.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Agreed! Oh man, it's gonna snow ;)

I used it them the car biz, and we them at our shop now. They make some that are extra durable as well, worth the extra money IMO.

sweet mother of all thats holy...He agreed with me>>>>>>>

This has to be a set-up......

Jimmy310

Seaman Apprentice

What about using a clay bar? I just did my Envoy and it did a fantastic job of smoothing out the paint that felt like fine sandpaper before I clay-barred it. Not sure what it would do for a boat though. Luckily mine has been kept waxed since new, so no oxidation and I already put another coat of wax on it.

I used a kit from Turtle Wax called "Ice Clay Kit". It worked so good on my boat I didn't have to use the electric polisher.
I had bought some of the best fiberglass restorer from 3M and tried it on a small spot. The clay worked much better and with out using a buffer.
Give it a try. It was under $15.00 bucks.
Hope this helps

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

before you spend any $$$ try vaseline for less than $3. its not going to hurt anything-quick & easy and it will look good. you have nothing to loose. I have done mine + a buddie's and had good results.