Facts of life, '40s style.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Friday and Saturday were date nights.<br /><br />$.25 worth of gas was enough for a double date.<br /><br />You went to the girl's door to pick her up. Lot's of "Yessir and Yesmaam" were required or you left alone.<br /><br />$1.00 per carload got 10 of us into the drive-in.<br />Billy Walker once got 71 people into his '37 Lincoln Zephyr 4door to drive through the ticket gate. He had people under the hood and in the trunk. I never got more than 10 into my '31 Model A Cabriolet with the top down; 4 in the front and six in the rumble seat.<br /><br />Two Cokes and one box of popcorn came to $.20.<br /><br />After the show, at The Clam Box Drive in, 2 banana splits and 2 cokes came to $1.10.<br /><br />Girls had to be home by 11:00PM on pain of something too horrible to contemplate. "Scoring" was getting a real, on the mouth, kiss at the door.<br /><br />Soda jerking at the Jewel Box was worth $.25/hour on weekdays, $.35/hr on weekends. Both included all the goodies you could eat and drink during slow periods (of which there were none). <br /><br />All the grown-ups complained about the wild and undisciplined youth and wished for the simpler, "good old days".<br /><br />If something tasted good, you ate it. If you wanted more and there was more, you ate it. If you were hungry and something was considered edible, you ate that, too. Fat was the best tasting part of dead critters.<br /><br />Exercise was what you might do in PE. Hunting, fishing, playing ball or just walking or running for the sheer joy of it were not considered exercise.<br /><br />Drugs were stuff the Doc prescribed and you got at a drug store. You tried to keep it secret, so as not to be considered an invalid, like any fat kid.<br /><br />Used tires that had any tread left were a prize at $2.00 each.<br /><br />Anyone who had an outboard motor was a friend in demand. Decarb with water and refuse to put it on any "boat" that required constant bailing to stay afloat.<br /><br />Anyone who fished with a flyrod was considered an elitist possessing magical powers.<br /><br />A 2lb bluegill was a life's trophy and any bass was a sign of bargains with the Devil.<br /><br />There are more. What do you remember?

dolluper

Captain
Re: Facts of life, '40s style.

Buy new cars for $500.00<br />House for $8000.00<br />Smokes for $o.45<br />Gas for $0.85 a gallon<br />Chips for $0.05 a bag<br />Everwhere was far<br />Wore out shoes quicker [from walking]

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I really miss the sound of a 4bbl carb opening up. :( Fuel injection is great, but man that 4 bbl sounded sweet exspecially with the air cleaner lid flipped over.<br /><br />Ken

JB

You guys are in the 50s. In 1947:<br /><br />Gas was $.12-$.15 a gallon.<br /><br />New Ford station wagon was $1200. Sportsman woodie convertible $1150. I paid $35 for my '31 Model A.<br /><br />Five room frame house was $3000.<br /><br />Smokes, $.25<br /><br />Ford V8s had 2bbl carbs, Buick Centurys had two carbs. Four bbl carbs didn't show up until the mid-late 50s.<br /><br />It took two of us to carry $5 worth of groceries.

LadyFish

Admiral

I remember a nickel coke in the little green bottle. Does that count? :p

dolluper

Captain

WE know JB but it's hard to relate when you weren't born yet :p :D :D

don flowers

Seaman

Ken, thanks, you made me remember some fond memories. That sound of a 4 barrell carb. with the breather cover turned over. Man, those were the days. Thanks Chevrolet trucks and old dogs, or was it dogs and old chevrolet trucks... Don

rottenray6402

Ensign

You could always run faster with the new pair of "back to school" high top tennis shoes with the round thing on the ankles! Back then when someone rolled their own cigarette nobody thought anything of it!

JB

Oh, yes, LF. Six oz. cokes with the name of a bottling plant on the bottom of the bottle. :) We used to play a game: If the plant on your bottle was the farthest away the other guy had to buy your coke. Our plant was Aberdeen, NC; I once got a bottle from California!<br /><br />Yep, rottenray. U.S. Keds with the built in cushioned arch support. A pair a year. :)

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Red rubber beanie flippers! (from tire tubes) Good take a sparrow out of the cherry tree at 30ft. Mad good rubber band guns too.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Oh man KZP!! I forgot about that!! My '68 Firebird 350 ! I still dream about it! I need a melancholy graemlin. :D <br />Sorry to sidetrack JB, I wasn't born till '54<br /><br />edit: Gawd I loved that car!!

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Originally posted by JB:<br /> <br />Yep, rottenray. U.S. Keds with the built in cushioned arch support. A pair a year. :)
WOW!!! I get to correct JB, talk about a change now, wheres that blue moon? The shoes he is referring to are not US Keds. They are Converse Chuck Taylor All Star's. They were commingly referred to as "hot bottoms".

JB

Well, perhaps an alternate answer, KB. :) <br /><br />I always had, and insisted on, U.S. Keds. Don't remember "hot bottoms", but perhaps different areas had different preferences even then.<br /><br />Do you remember white buck loafers with dimes in them and flourescent red socks? They were the in thing in NC in those days.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Shoot JB, I wasn't born till 74. I don't remember any of that stuff. My generations penny loafers had dollar bills in them. thats how much inflation has went up. :) You are probably right about the US Keds. PF Flyers were basicly the same thing also, only they came out much later.<br /><br />The hot bottoms name was used in Texas, don't know about elsewhere.<br /><br />I am a junk history buff. I like to see and know about the things my parents and grandparents grew up with. If you ever go to Tyler be sure and go to the Brookshires museum. The Brookshires were avid hunters and keep most of their trophys in the museum. There is also a early 1900's country store in the museum. WAY COOL.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

" Red Ball Keds" those were the akin to the Nikes of today. :)

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

My first car was a 72 Nova with a 307 CID and 2 spd Powerglide. It came with a 2 bbl but I hopped it up with a better cam, 4 bbl intake and quadrajet carb, rebuilt top end etc., What an awesome machine. When it down shifted at 30MPH you could get rubber! And of course at 16, the air cleaner was flipped.