F150XCA 2020 freeze damage to engine cover-cooler

I want to share an experience I just had with my two Yamaha 150 outboards on my 2020 Hewescraft. I leave the boat in the water (salt water) year round and I fresh water flush both motors after each use. If the weather is going to be below freezing, I leave the motors in the down position, assuming the water will keep them from getting as cold. What I didn't realize is that, with the motors down in the water, the cooling system does not fully drain. Thus the fresh (non-salt) water in the engine froze and caused the oil cooler/covers to crack. I didn't notice it until i was later doing a fresh water rinse and noticed water leaking from the front lower area of the engine. Otherwise, no running problems and no water in the oil.
So, I ordered and replaced these covers, about $90 each, and all was well. Except when one engine didn't start and displayed a warning on the engine control. Turns out that on one of the engines, the leaking/spraying salt water from the cracked cover soaked the fuse panel on the motor, causing it to corrode badly internally. So, i replaced the fuse panel ($500) and all is now well.
My reason for sharing this information is that i am sure there are others in moderately cold climates (pacific nw or SE Alaska) who run their boats year round.
My plans in the future when the weather is predicted cold is that i will leave the motor down and i will NOT do a fresh water flush. One additional step i might consider is to actually run some RV plumbing antifreeze into the flush port.
If anyone else has dealt with this and has a sure fire solution, other than pulling the boat out of the water, i'd enjoy hearing about it.
Thank you.