f-type mixed with dexron

crab bait

Captain
stupid me .. i thought f-type was ford & the other for the other... when did this change... probably when they started mixin' standard with metric... S O B'S.!!<br /><br />anyway iam oin' to sell my ford.. an was a quart low on tranny fluid... i add one quart to bring it up to full [ with engine runnin' & hot ]...<br /><br />i noticed on the dipstick said use only DEXRON.[ SP?]... what's up ..??

D

DJ

Re: f-type mixed with dexron

crab bait,<br /><br />They are not compatible.<br /><br />Ford dropped type F back in the early nineties, about '91'.<br /><br />Type 'F' does not lend itself well to transmissions with lock up torque converters. It makes them chatter and apply abruptly.<br /><br />If your transmission does not have a lock up converter, but still calls for Dexron/Mercon it is because the friction material in the clutch packs is different than the older type "F" transmissions.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

From what I have heard the Dextron also takes higher heat without breaking down and getting burnt. Take it with a grain of salt. I would take the pickup to a place where they completely change the fluid with a machine. Most quick oil change places will do this now. I was told by my GM dealer that they do not recommend dropping the pan on the trannies any more because it does not change more than 2/3 of the fluid.

D

DJ

Scoop is correct. <br /><br />The "lock up converter" transmissions develop more heat.<br /><br />The complete flush is the way to go. You can shop around and usually get it done for around $50.00.<br /><br />This won't hurt in your selling it either.