EZ Lube Rear Seal

Sooner44

Seaman
Hello all !!

I have a new trailer, one season old and decided to add grease to the bearings for this season. I have the EZ Lube system, where the grease is supplied through the spindle and returned outward through the bearing housing. I greased and reinstalled the rubber dust caps and off I went.

200 miles later I pulled over and checked the tires / hubs and saw grease slung around the wheels. After I got to the lake, I cleaned the wheels, pulled the dust caps and wiped out some grease. I figured I had too much grease in the housing, not leaving air pocket for the grease to expand, when the grease got hot and expanded, it pushed all excessive grease out (all over the wheels). The leaking grease got better on the trip home, however, I did notice one small indication of grease coming from only one rear seal. Considering these are (was) new seals, do you think the rear seal is gone, or do you think once all the excess grease is gone, the seal will be okay ?? Please give me your opinion, as I hope I don't need to replace the seal. I thought I would see if it continued to leak on the next trip, and if it did replace the seal then. If i didnt leak, consider myself lucky. Comments ????

Sooner44

Seaman
Re: EZ Lube Rear Seal

Thanks for the thead, any chance that a rear seal that seeped a very small amount out may re-seal ?
No big deal if I have to replace the seal, I just figured once the excess grease was gone it may reseat considering all is new ?

Almeja

Seaman

Note that when you're pumping grease through the spindle-lubes you're supposed to have the wheel jacked up off the ground and rotating it.

Along with distributing the grease on the bearings, I think rotating the hub helps the grease push through the bearings without creating too much pressure on the rear seal.

Sooner44

Seaman

Well, made another trip this wekend, and the seal was still leaking :| I have a new seal in hand and wil replace today. Do you guy's lube the sealing surfaces of the seal prior to installation ??

Pony

Rear Admiral

I usually don't because there is usually plenty of grease still on the spindle that will help seal as you slide the rear seal on. JMHO