Extra Engine support

Hi, So I bought a 1993 24" sweetwater. It turned out that it needed an engine (long sad story). I really could not afford a brand new engine so I went with a used engine from a local & reputable shop. The shop has been in business for many, many, years & told me that the sweetwater brand is a great boat and they have had a TON of experience taking care of them. I say that to say this... When I told them I was looking for a used replacement engine, & knowing very little about them myself, I asked them how big I could go (the console info tag is completely faded out & Godfrey marine does not answer phone calls or emails). The boat shop told me that the highest HP they would recommend on a 24' boat was 150. I checked with the local DMV & my insurance company & they both said 150HP is acceptable & insurance company sent me a letter stating the boat would be covered, of course premium is a bit higher. I ended up buying & having the shop install the 1997 suzuki 150.

I got the boat home (long bumpy drive on trailer) & noticed that the transom appeared stressed. I am going to assume that it is because the 150 weighs a bunch more than the 90 Tohatsu that came off of it. I lifted the weight off the transom & fabricated additional supports that wrap around the bottom of the transom & attach up on top of the frame rails on both sides of the engine to support the additional "up/down" weight so now there is no flex whatsoever in the transom when I jump up & down on it. Also, worrying about forward/reverse thrust of the additional HP/torque, I added supports from the top engine mounting bolts to the frame rails ahead of the engine. I am hoping that these supports will help the transom plate hold/transfer the extra weight without having to worry about broken welds. I also installed a heavy duty shock absorbing transom saver to help bear some of the weight/bounce while trailering.

Besides the "Too much power" replies & since I already have the engine on the boat. Has anyone here ever added supports to configuration like this & how did it work out? Is there any other type of additional bracing that I may want to consider? I have already had the boat in the water & the extra weight is almost not noticeable as far as the way the boat sits. I know it is a lot of HP & I am not crazy or stupid. I have had street cars with 800+HP but the sense not to use all 800 where it was unsafe to do so & hurt myself or anyone else. I am 46 & have kids I want to be able to pull around at a fun pace to have fun. Not get anyone hurt.

Thanks everyone.

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: Extra Engine support

Raise the engine and put your weight on the foot while someone watches the the transom. If it flexes, there is a good chance your transom is rotten. 150 HP on a 24 foot boat isn't overpowered.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

mmm that may very well be a good bit over powered on a 93.

smoedog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it a wooden transom?

I have a 94 godfrey aquapatio and I emailed them asking what the HP rating was and they said 115.

How was it stressed?

Was the transom flexing or the flange that bolts to the stringers under the floor flexing?

Is it a wooden transom?

I have a 94 godfrey aquapatio and I emailed them asking what the HP rating was and they said 115.

How was it stressed?

Was the transom flexing or the flange that bolts to the stringers under the floor flexing?

The flanges that bolt the engine Pod to the underside of the boat were flexing when i bounced the engine hard. With the additional supports I added there is now zero flex. I also strengthened around the bolt holes by adding an additional 3" square plate to the underside of the pod & another strip on top of the bolt holes to distribute the weight better. But still, zero flex anywhere...

5150abf

Vice Admiral

That should do it, we just had a post where a guy had his transom fall completely off the boat, it looked like the bolts pulled through the crossmembers themselves so if you added plates on top also you should be good.

Keep an eye on it of coarse but you should be good and did exactly what I would have done.

Thank you.... I think I am good... Just will keep an eye on everything before & after each trip.