external raw water pump on a OMC stringer system

proline2

Seaman Apprentice
I have a l984 OMC model 800 stringer system. I'm thinking of putting a raw water pump mounted on the front of the engine (3.8) to facilitate easier impeller changes. Anybody know what works well, and would it do any harm to add this pump and leave the old outdrive impeller right where it is?<br />Thanks

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: external raw water pump on a OMC stringer system

Proline<br />I guess you can do that but impeller is not a big problem. I have a 1980 and have changed twice and both times old impeller looked prefect. I know most will tell you every two years but to me does not make since. It is like changeing your trailer tires every two years. Watch your teltail stream and your temps for a time to change. Both times I had mine changed was when had a seal kit put in upper gear case due to a water leak. First guy did not fix after 4 trys so just changed oil often as was a very slow leak. When had water pump drive shaft fail last year had them change all the seals and water pump. Looks like they fixed it this time but only have about 20 hours on it so may still be too early to tell.<br /><br />I guess if you want to put on a raw water to pump water to engine it will not hurt it. Could electric or engine driven.

Bondo

Staff member

If you do proceed with this, I'd remove the old impeller, just so it Can't break up,+ Plug the incoming flow of water....

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Bondo<br />The impeller does squirt water into the ball gear area, is that just to indicate water flow or does it cool ball gears when up on plane???