extending battery cables?

picasso

Seaman Apprentice
Hello i hope im in the right place for this question? i have a outboard motor and the previus owner has the battery mounted near the transom. i wanted to extend the motor cables so i could install my batteries in the front of the boat.
- can i just crimp battery cable wire, 4/0 awg , to extend to the front? or is there another way of doing this . if so how can i do it? thanks cheers!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: extending battery cables?

Starters draw a lot of current, Picasso. Long cable runs can interfere.

What engine do you have and how long would the new cables be?

John_S

Rear Admiral

The cables come with the outboard, and are usually only long enough for a near transom mount. As JB indicated, if you try to mount these up front, you will need significantly longer cables, but also larger diameter. It is very unusual to mount the starter battery up front. Also, keep in mind that the starter cables usually dont have the fuse at the battery, usually on the engine. A short could make a good welder. If you go forward with this, recommend changing wire all the way back to the terminals on engine, ie no splicing.

Splat

Lieutenant

Agree with what was said above. Just want re-itterate if you do extend the cables start fresh and make cables out of one solid piece of wire. Its bad enough to have 2 points of corrosion/failure at the ends, if you add a crimp connector in the middle not only are you adding a little more resistance to the line, you have now doubled the failure points.

Bill

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

Hello i hope im in the right place for this question? i have a outboard motor and the previus owner has the battery mounted near the transom. i wanted to extend the motor cables so i could install my batteries in the front of the boat.
- can i just crimp battery cable wire, 4/0 awg , to extend to the front? or is there another way of doing this . if so how can i do it? thanks cheers!

On top of the suggestions (Larger Diameter etc) what about the beating a battery would take being up front (have you ever had a ride in the front on a choppy day :))

At minimum you would be strapping the batteries down - tight. I would also suggest AGM or other gel/sealed systems so you are not splashing acid all over the place.:eek:

picasso

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the replies. well im still in the process of deciding where to build my battery boxes. in front or back. the reason that i thought in front was because there is a lot of wasted space and i dont want to kill any of the working deck near the bow. its a dive boat and yes ive been out when its been pretty bad out. im in hawaii but its not the paradise all may imagine. well still deciding, originally wanted them in the back but well im going to maybee have to re evaluate.

picasso

Seaman Apprentice

Starters draw a lot of current, Picasso. Long cable runs can interfere.

What engine do you have and how long would the new cables be?

i have a 115 hp 4 stroke johnson and the boat is 2o feet.

picasso

Seaman Apprentice

oh one more thing , if i were to change the wires all the way from the motor would regular battery cable be fine or would i have to the the factory stuff?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It would be a good idea to use only Marine Grade, one piece (no splices) and no smaller than 4/0.

That will cost you a bit now to avoid costing a lot more later.

picasso

Seaman Apprentice

do i have to use the factory kind (the one that the positive and negative is connected or separate wires would be okay? 4/0 awg tinned .thanks

Splat

Lieutenant

Seperate cables for negative and positive are fine. Infact they carry a higher amp rating than two combined conductors.

Bill

picasso

Seaman Apprentice

thanks i hope i may get better charging to my battery :D

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

Consider using a battery shutoff switch ( and neg isolated stud) mounted where your battery is now. That will give you a stud termanal to connect both wires too vs cutting and splicing.

picasso

Seaman Apprentice

that is actually a really good suggestion thanks! what if i have a battery switch and acr going to be mounted in front with the batteries? should i run two kill switches?

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't forget the inline fuse near the battery at front in series 60 amp should keep the 4 gauge from cooking in case of a short.

picasso

Seaman Apprentice

thanks ill look into the 60 amp fuse near the battery! i havnt wired anything yet just trying to get a good system in my mind before i start creating the project