Extended Range Gas container

cnccustom

Seaman
I need to extend my range of my boat,..will probably need another 15-20 gal. safely to get to and back from my offshore fishing grounds with all the cruising around looking for fish.....no room for another tank or larger tank.its a 54 gallon tank......I have a swim step but don't know if thats safe or legal to put a portable device on.....

what do you guys use as portable extended tanks.....

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Extended Range Gas container

I've seen people strap 6 gallon cans onto their swim platforms. Looks tacky, but stable. It would really suck trying to refill your tank with those things though. If the swim step is the only place you have room though, I guess you have no choice. Can you even fit that much on a swim step? Sounds a little sketchy really, pray the wind doesn't shift on ya.:%

cnccustom

Seaman

I have been looking at these gas caddies......portable gas pump...they have them from 14 gallon to 30 gallon...I might just mount one of these in the middle of my swim step where I can take it off and on...then when I get to my destination fill her back up..might look tacky but as long as it makes me home

....not sure of the rating of my step but it is very solid....

have had both me and my dad on it at the same time with no flex....about 400 lbs

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

If you use the swim step make sure its thru bolted and not screwed on. The 20 gallons of gas is only about 120 lbs plus the container.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

coast guard has regulations on fuel tanks, better check them out first. what will 200 lbs on the stearn do to the boats performance, hate to see you get swamped, when backing down on the catch, you could always add tabs for planning.

you also could install and electric fuel pump, and hose directly to the container, sort of plug and play disconnects, that way you don't have to transfer fuel at sea. in the keys, a lot of the tour dive boats, have huge tanks, mounted on there stean, just i front of those big Yammmys.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What boat and what engine are we talking about?

cnccustom

Seaman

JB said:
What boat and what engine are we talking about?

bayliner sunbridge 2150,volvo penta 305

Attachments

• ci3jMFpyCkvNFWtsHBzFVV1tpzKp.jpg
    49 bytes · Views: 0

cnccustom

Seaman

tashasdaddy said:
coast guard has regulations on fuel tanks, better check them out first. what will 200 lbs on the stearn do to the boats performance, hate to see you get swamped, when backing down on the catch, you could always add tabs for planning.

you also could install and electric fuel pump, and hose directly to the container, sort of plug and play disconnects, that way you don't have to transfer fuel at sea. in the keys, a lot of the tour dive boats, have huge tanks, mounted on there stean, just i front of those big Yammmys.

Thanks TD....will look at coast guard regs first ....its has tabs on it so it should not be a problem back there....I would empty it before I start fishing.....looked at the collapsable bladders also but it would take up most of my deck space......

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

What about strapping them up on the bow, to the bowrail supports? If you get one of those shake-shake siphons, and a piece of garden hose long enough to reach the gas filler, gravity should refill your main tanks. It you securely strap the aux tanks to the rails, you should not have a weight or balance issue.

Remember, you need one third of your fuel out, one third of your fuel back and one third in reserve (for bad weather or other issues).

cnccustom

Seaman

Chris1956 said:
What about strapping them up on the bow, to the bowrail supports? If you get one of those shake-shake siphons, and a piece of garden hose long enough to reach the gas filler, gravity should refill your main tanks. It you securely strap the aux tanks to the rails, you should not have a weight or balance issue.

Remember, you need one third of your fuel out, one third of your fuel back and one third in reserve (for bad weather or other issues).

Thanks chris..that is exactly what I plan to do..CG Regs here in Calif say no gas containers outside the boat........where do you buy the shake shake siphon...?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The Shake-shake siphons are available in many places. You can try Overtons. I find that the hose on the siphon fits snugly inside a piece of garden hose, and does not leak - no clamps or tape needed.

tommays

Admiral

It's hard enough to fuel you boat at the dock without a spill using cans for anything but an emergency is a bad way to go

There are so many plastic tanks in every shape and size to add second tank if you need it

Tommays