Explosions? Huh?

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Why do space vehicles explode in space movies? No oxygen, no flame. The only oxygen is on board. Even if the oxygen tanks ruptured all at once it wouldn't produce that spectacular earth-style big flame explosion.<br /><br />Why do cars usually explode in movies, especially after falling off cliffs and sometimes after a delay of a few seconds? Fuel tanks hardly ever explode in real life. They are a great piece of engineering. Even if the delay is meant to suggest that leaking fuel is ignited, it wouldn't cause the tank to explode. Not to mention the obvious timed explosions on various parts of the car that have no tanks on them.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Explosions? Huh?

Why? for effect.....

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Tink ol buddy, you do have a lot of time on your hands, don't ya? :D

Tinkerer

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> Tink ol buddy, you do have a lot of time on your hands, don't ya? :D
Beats me how anyone could get that idea. :D <br /><br />I'm just a restless intelligence in ceaseless search for answers to the big questions of our time.<br /><br />Like why do real estate agents (realtors?) take a picture of a house; have it blown up a gazillion times and put on the illuminated auction board out the front of the house; and all you're seeing is a picture of the exact same house that's behind the picture on the board? <br /><br />These are deep questions which require great thought.

cntrydude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why do space vehicles always have there engines (thrusters) showing they are on. Once you are in motion there is no need for more propulsion in space! Why are most spaceships shown as being very aerodynamic? In space that means nothing, a square or rectangular ship would move through space just the same and be a much more economical use of space.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Originally posted by Tinkerer:<br /> <br />Like why do real estate agents (realtors?) take a picture of a house; have it blown up a gazillion times and put on the illuminated auction board out the front of the house; and all you're seeing is a picture of the exact same house that's behind the picture on the board? <br /><br />
Good question!!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hey Tink.... I own a Special Effects company and have done quite a few movies.<br /><br />The explosions are done for the drama. A true high explosion would vaporize things in an instant but for the movies the directors and writers like them to show on screen. In order to make them slow and dramatic we use gas, diesel, propane, chemicals and lots of other additives depending on what is wanted.<br /><br />The same is true for the weapons used and the effects. Bullets seldom ricochet off of a piece of wood and 99.9% of the time they do not spark when they hit. Simple drama!<br /><br />The majority of the bullet effects are done with a paintball type gun.<br /><br />As for the space explosions.... there are oxidizers in the fuel to make it burn and considering we have not done any real ones yet who knows we might be right on the money!<br /><br />I did some high explosions for a movie called Landslide. I did use small amounts of high explosive and augmented the explosions with gasoline for the effects. You can see my work if you watch the movie trailer http://www.porchlight.com/video/landslide.ram <br /><br />Bob<br /> :cool:

eeboater

Commander

Why do real estate agents do those scary glamour shot photos all the time?

Tinkerer

Originally posted by achris:<br />
Originally posted by Tinkerer:<br /> <br />Like why do real estate agents (realtors?) take a picture of a house; have it blown up a gazillion times and put on the illuminated auction board out the front of the house; and all you're seeing is a picture of the exact same house that's behind the picture on the board? <br /><br />
Good question!!!
Especially when it cost you a few grand to improve the "market appeal" of your property.<br /><br />I could have made a bright red arrow about three feet high stuck in the nature strip for $15 even if I bought all the materials new. The same arrow, illuminated, would probably get more attention for the house than the picture of it on the board because people would be curious and look where it's pointing. <br /><br />But I'm not a real estate professional. I don't blow dry my hair and pluck my nostrils every morning, for a start.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Tinkerer:<br /> I don't blow dry my hair and pluck my nostrils every morning, for a start.
You sure are missing out on a lot of fun!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Tinker, always wondered the same thing. And lets not forget about all the sound BOOM that goes along with the explosion and lasers being fired.

Tinkerer

Bob VT<br /><br />Mate, you are going to regret revealing that you own a special effects company 'cos lots of us would love to know how you do things.<br /><br />Computer stuff ain't impressive any more, but the combination of action and other stuff is.<br /><br />Blue screens we understand, but how do other things work, like where it looks like someone jumps 20 to 30 feet down into a building foyer onto a marble floor that'd shatter every bone in their body, never mind their legs? There's no room for airbags etc under the marble.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Pluckin' nostrils has gotta hurt.... ouch.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> Why do real estate agents do those scary glamour shot photos all the time?
Like your avatar?<br /><br />She can scare me any time.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by RubberFrog:<br />
Originally posted by Tinkerer:<br /> I don't blow dry my hair and pluck my nostrils every morning, for a start.
You sure are missing out on a lot of fun!
@#^& you! <br /><br />That hurt! :D