Expiration dates...

eeboater

Commander
So, I went shopping last night at about 10:30 PM. Mrs. EEboater did up a nice shopping list that she emailed me at work -- I was at work doing a little computer training with EEboater version 2.0 (my little brother).<br /><br />She asked for these Yoplait Whipped Yogurt things. As I was going through the dairy section they had a deal (which should have been my first signal) 10 for $4.00.<br /><br />I thought, sweet, thats a great deal so I grabbed up 10 of em. Mrs. EEboater grabbed one for breakfast this morning and as she was sitting at her desk, she notices that the sell by date was April 19th. That was 8 days ago!!<br /><br />I understand maybe selling it by the day of, or maybe one day over. But to sell it over a week after the manufacturer suggests that it be sold by, yikes!!! I mean, there has to be a reason the manufacturer put that date on there! And if you are going to make it a sale (which really, they were only 15 cents cheaper per container) tell people, we're selling expired food at a discount.<br /><br />Sean

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Expiration dates...

I hear ya Sean. Most dairy products will stay good from 7 to 10 days in a good fridge after the sell by date.<br />I said most and I also mean most of the time. hehehe.<br />I know I can keep milk up to 10 days before it starts getting bad.<br />Don't know about yogurt, never eat the stuff.

ndemge

Commander

Most places, sell by date is just that, sell it by that date or chuck it.<br /><br />It's the only way I buy chicken now.<br />My local store, on the sell by date, everything out there will be taken back, re-labeled as "manager special".... Usually get leg quarters for $.29 a lb. Look at the package, if it's still fresh looking, buy it, take it home and strait into the freezer it goes.<br /><br />Dairy though, that sell by date is usually really close the the "gone sour" date.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Here's a trick. Most dairy products are stack with the freshest at the back. I take from the back. Usually 3-5 days more on the 'use by'.<br /><br />Chris..........

NYMINUTE

Captain

Watch over the counter meds too. Got some Rolaids that were expired one month earlier. The store had them on sale but "Didn't know?" Super Glue, and many items from Permetex also tend to be sold beyond the ex. date.

TilliamWe

Banned

ee, I would not have hestiated for a second to eat that yogurt. I have eaten yogurt that was(refridgerated the whole time), over 1 year expired! It actually became a game where I used to work, "see how old something has to be before tilliamwe won't eat it." They never came up with anything that was still sealed & properly stored that was too old. :D <br />That said, aren't there LAWS against retailers selling stuff past the manufacturers expiration date?? :confused:

eeboater

Commander

TilliamWe:<br /><br />Yikes!!!!<br /><br />Sean

TilliamWe

Banned

Hey, I just ate yogurt yesterday that was expired on April 18th. Yummy for my tummy! No ill effects today, either, in case you were wondering!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

nyminute, how can a piece of chalk have an expiration date? :)

KaGee

Admiral

Hmmmm... Sounds like Mrs. EE feels threatened by Jessica... she must be trying to get into those Daisy Dukes so you'll post her picture! :p

ndemge

Commander

When we moved into our warehouse, there was a CASE of 1liter watter bottles. Still sealed. Had an "experation" date of 6 years prior. We drank them, they quenched our thirst, and ya know what, That there water wasn't spoiled!<br /><br />On a lot of items I think they just put a date on there in hope someone will throw it out and buy new.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey I have some of that silly glue from 1995, yep, still works. :eek:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

How do you know when sour cream expires?<br /><br /> :D <br /><br />Ken

aspeck

Staff member

In college that was how we lived! Dumpster diving for expired foods! Man, you could make a haul! Expired food never bothered me - Guess Tilliamwe and I are in the same category. But then, I will eat about anything on a dare or bet.

briannh1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

I try to check the dates b4 I buy stuff, but sometimes I still get burned.<br /><br />The stores should encode the sell by date right into the UPC bar code. Then the checkout could flag any expired products b4 you took them home.<br /><br />But then the stores wouldn't make as much money as they do now...

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> How do you know when sour cream expires?<br /><br /> :D <br /><br />Ken
It's Green,+ ALIVE.............<br /><br /><br />BTW,... It's the Sell by date,.... Not the Consume by date........

dolluper

Captain

If you take it back the manu will just re-stamp the date and we'll end up with it here in Canada, two weeks later and fresh :D :D Bondo has it right GREEN DON"T EAT

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> How do you know when sour cream expires?<br /><br /> :D <br /><br />Ken
Oh brother! You know!
23_30_111.gif

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Rolaids = chalk = calcium carbonate with flavoring.<br /><br />Calcium carbonate 550 mg ............................ Antacid<br />Magnesium hydroxide 110 mg ....................... Antacid<br /><br /><br />Chalk - Oxford dictionary. a soft, earthy substance, of a white, grayish, or yellowish white color, consisting of calcium carbonate, and having the same composition as common limestone.