expensive parts 1956 Evinrude 5.5hp

boatytoom

Cadet
If you read my last post you will know that Im new here and new to outboards. Today while I was at work I sent my buddy to the local marina for me and told him to just pick up the parts. I had him get me a water pump kit, a carb kit a head gasket, and 2 spark plugs. As I mentioned Im new to outboards but I thought the water pump kit was just gonna be an impellor and a gasket. It came with some other part that Im not sure what it is. The carb kit was a little steep at $26 but its a good 1, the only part I thought was high was the water pump kit. It was $57. I know I coulda got by cheaper gettin stuff online but I guess I was in a hurry and thought I had to have them right away. Thats what happens when you get excited about gettin something running I guess.

wpk003.jpg

I havent taken the motor apart yet but what is the black part on the left? I should have bought a manual as well. The only manual Ive seen covers a huge selection of motors. Is there a better manual that is more directed to this year motor? THANKS AGAIN GUYS...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: expensive parts 1956 Evinrude 5.5hp

You may not need all that, you got the housing, housing plate, gasket, cup, impeller and grommet. If you are referring to the large black part, that is the actual impeller housing. The black part on the left, top row is the grommet that fits into the hole on the top of the housing that the copper water line then fits into.

You may just need the impeller, that is usually all I replace, and the grommet. But wont know until you open her up, the rest you may be able to return.

nwcove

Admiral

i could be wrong, but i dont think that impeller will fit without the rest of the kit? ( unless its already been converted)

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Unless you are experienced at judging the condition of the old water pump parts, I would replace the whole thing (impeller, housing, wear plate, etc.). The motor is old enough to likely need the whole deal.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

i could be wrong, but i dont think that impeller will fit without the rest of the kit? ( unless its already been converted)

You are correct, should have stated that, sorry.

I dunno, those old housings/wear plates are pretty durable, I have hundreds of 1950 OMCS, cannot remember the last time I had to buy a plastic housing. Sometimes they require minor work, but all in all they were built to last.

Cant go wrong with installing it though as Jim stated if you have not done many.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I go along with Nwcove on the impeller.