Expect gas prices to go up even more! (BP Plant Explosion)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Feel sorry for the workers, rumor has it 4 have died.<br /><br />A gasoline making plant just blew up. This is near Mr and Mrs Ladyfish<br /><br /> http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory2/3099477 <br /><br />An explosion rocked the BP's petrochemical plant this afternoon, shaking nearby buildings and sending huge plumes of black smoke into the air that could be seen from Galveston to Clear Lake. <br /><br />BP's Texas City plant is a sprawling industrial complex that stretches across 1,200 acres with 30 refinery units. The plant processes 460 million barrels of crude oil every day, producing 3 percent of the U.S. gasoline supply. It employs about 2,000 people.

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Expect gas prices to go up even more! (BP Plant Explosion)

I'm surprised that kind of thing doesn't happen more often. I'm also glad that Oregon's gas doesn't come from Texas. :)

LadyFish

Admiral

I felt it shake the ground. Four fatalities and many more injuries. Rescue teams are trying to pull people from the debris.The houses in the immediate area had their window's blown out.<br /><br />My prayers go out them and thier families. I know a lot of people that have family that work there and its one of my visits every year to participate in their health fair. I have friends their too. :(

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I grew up in Baytown, explosions were all too common.<br /><br />Glad yall are OK, yep, very sad about the workers.<br /><br />My BIL works at Bayer where they make phosgene gas. Very dangerous job.<br /><br />Ken

LadyFish

Admiral

News just said 4 dead and nearly 70 injured. Life Flight has been flying them into the med center here all afternoon.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I was just looking at the pictures, you know it is bad when it is just an explosion with no fire.<br /><br />Everything went up at once.<br /><br />Ken

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Are we talking accident or terrorism??

LadyFish

Admiral

We don't know yet. BP officials are going to give a press conference at 7:00 CST om CBS.<br /><br />Latest count was 14 dead over 70 injured at the plant location and over 30 nearby residents injured.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

TEXAS CITY - An explosion rocked a BP plant this afternoon, killing at least 14 people, according to a BP official, and critically injuring many others. <br /><br /><br />University of Texas Medical Branch Galveston is treating 22 patients from the explosion, said Dr. Brian Zachariah. Three are in critical condition, including one in the hospitals' burn unit, Three others are listed as serious, and the rest are in fair condition. Medical director Joan Richardson confirmed four people died at the plant site. <br /><br />Another 50 victims of the plant explosion were admitted to Mainland Medical Center in Texas City, spokesman Harold Fattig said. He add that figure included both people brought in by ambulance as well as walk-ins.<br /><br />Clear Lake Regional Medical Center was also treating walk-in patients. Some were complaining of ringing in their ears and blood in the ears. <br /><br />Confirming only "multiple" fatalities and injuries, a BP spokesman said that with 1,800 workers, it's "a little confusing" to account for everyone, but that's the top priority. Rescuers continue to look for survivors in the debris strewn across the plant site, and families can call 409-945-1400 if they haven't heard from someone who works at the BP plant. <br /><br /> <br />Associated Press<br /><br />An ambulance leaves the BP plant. <br />BP said the explosion, reported about 1:20 p.m., took place at a gasoline refinery's octane unit. The blast shook nearby homes, rattled windows and sent huge plumes of black smoke into the air that could be seen from Galveston to Clear Lake. Texas City residents were initially told to stay indoors, but emergency management officials lifted the order at 2:10 p.m. when the fire was brought under control. <br /><br /> Nearby roads have been closed, including those at the plant entrances on Texas 146 and FM 1765. The Houston Ship Channel was briefly closed but has reopened. <br /><br />The fire began in the isomer unit, which produces components used to raise the octane content of gasoline, according to Hugh Depland, BP's general manager for public affairs.<br /><br />Brian Rutherford, a public health planner with the Galveston County Health District, said the primary chemical involved was naptha, a solvent that can release carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide when burned. If inhaled it can cause dizziness, nausea and headaches. It also can cause skin and eye irritation, according to its Material Safety Data Sheet. <br /><br />Texas Commission on Environmental Quality monitors permanently in the area were in the midst of taking a 24-hour sample of the air near the plant when the explosion occurred, said Adria Dawidczik, a TCEQ spokeswoman.<br /><br />The U.S. Homeland Security agency said the Coast Guard will be looking to rule out the possibility of terrorism. In addition, a team of chemical safety investigators are on their way from Washington D.C. to conduct a preliminary probe of the explosion. <br /><br />When the explosion happened, Charles Mantell, 63, an electrical engineer, and Judith Mantell, 62, a social worker, were standing in the front yard of their second home on Tiki Island, which faces the chemical plant about five miles across Galveston Bay. They were waiting for a repairman to continue the renovations on their house. <br /><br />Suddenly, Judith Mantell said, there was a sharp and short boom that shook her home, rattled her windows and skipped her truck a couple of inches across the ground. <br /><br /> <br />Startled, she looked into the sky to look for a plane but instead saw the tallest flames she has ever seen in her life, she said.<br /><br />"It was unbelievable, the flames shot more than 70 feet into the air. I've never seen flames that high from anything, they were bright orange, with yellow on the side,'' she said.<br /><br />The flames were followed by thick, black plumes of smoke. Inhaling the air, she did not smell smoke or any other type of fumes from the plant; a relief Judith Mantell said.<br /><br />"It's nothing but chemical plants over there, but this is the first time weve ever seen something like this,'' she said. But we often smell fumes from across the Bay.''<br />She added: "There have been times when the fumes have made me sick - when the fumes have burned my eyes and nose."<br /><br />Michael Martin, a 49-year-old plant operator for an electric company and life-long resident of Texas City, was at home, sleeping before going to work a night shift.<br /><br />The explosion, "like a sonic boom,'' shook him out of his slumber. He awoke to the house shaking and the sound of paintings crashing of the walls onto the floor. But Martin has lived in Texas City all his life, surrounded by petrochemical plants, so even half asleep, he guessed what had happened.<br /><br />"This is probably my fourth or fifth one of these,'" he said.<br /><br />He shot up out of bed and ran to a back bedroom with a window that faces totoward the plants, about three miles away.<br /><br /> <br />Carlos Antonio Rios/Chronicle<br />Victims of the BP plant blast arrive at UTMB Galveston by Life Flight helicopter. <br />"The flames were shooting over the rooftops,'' he said. "I could see smoke, it was pretty bad, but it was blowing toward Galveston.''<br /><br />Watching the flames tower over the rooftops, Martin looked toward the fire, and said he thought about the several friends he has that work in the plants.<br /><br />"I know a few people that work out there. That's one of the first things that come to mind. You hope that your friends are OK. When you live in a community like this, of course you'll know people who work there,'' he said. <br /><br />BP's Texas City complex includes 30 refinery units spread over 1,200 acres. With 460,000 barrels of crude oil processed every day, the plant provides 3 percent of the U.S. gasoline supply. <br /><br />The refinery also ranks as the eighth largest polluter in the state of Texas. It released 5.1 million pounds of pollutants in 2002, according to the latest data, including some chemicals that are known carcinogens and cause other serious health effects. <br /><br />A population of 31, 413 people resides within a three-mile radius of the refinery.<br /><br /> Daniel Horowitz, director of public affairs for the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board, said a seven-member team will do an initial assessment of the incident to determine if the situation warrants a full investigation.<br /><br />"The immediate priority when they get there is going to be to develop a list of eyewitnesses, to determine what chemicals were present at the facility and what kind of processes were underway at the time of the accident," he said.<br /><br />The USCSB was in the Houston area late last year to conduct an investigation of the explosion at the Marcus Oil and Chemical plant on Dec. 3. That probe is still underway.<br /><br />The USCSB is not a regulatory agency. According to the agency's website, the USCSB determines the causes of accidents but does not issue fines or penalties.

ob

Admiral

WOW.That's every plant workers worst nightmare.It will be interesting to see what they come up with as the cause.It's remarkable that more are not dead from such a blast.My heart goes out to the families of the killed and injured. :(

NYMINUTE

Captain

Swell, we get to pay for a major companies failure to provide a safe workplace. Saddly those who lost their lives fall second to profits. Angers the hel* out of me.

Homerr

Commander

Isn't it strange how these 'accidents' or 'plant maintenance' happens when a gas hike is going on?<br /><br /><br />ZmOz: It doesn't matter where our gas comes from... We'll have one of the highest prices anyway... Cause we're in the tax-n-gouge-me state!<br /><br /><br />H.

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Gas prices don't really matter. This country will pay any price to drive. ANY price. If it hits 12 bucks those SUV's will still be rollin.<br /><br />We are a mobile society. Always will be. <br /><br />Actually I suspect that some people will do without necessary items in order to drive. I don't mean to work, I just mean to drive. Its the American way.

LadyFish

Admiral

BP provides 30% of our country's resources and 3% worldwide. BP plant officials said this morning that the plant is operating at a good level.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Should not have oil shortage at all. Crude oil is still coming onshore in vast amount to be refined. Only thing is the other company will take up the slack and make more profit. Workers will be there making over time and extra $$$. We the consumer are going to pay more and the oil speculator and investor are racking in the big $$$.

D

DJ

Crude deliveries have nothing to do with this. <br /><br />We have a SERIOUS shortage of the capacity to REFINE that crude. What part don't we understand? Overegulation-several different blends, etc.?, over taxation, lack of the ability to build refineries?<br /><br />We haven't built, or seriously expanded, a refinery in 20+ years.<br /><br />When will people wake up and understand that?<br /><br />The EPA is running amuck and we don't care.<br /><br />What do you want? Cheap gas, or a government agency that can, for no good reason, stop responsible expansion?<br /><br />We have, as a society, some questions to ask ourselves, if we care.<br /><br />Our children have been taught, via GOVERNMENT schools, that capatalism is EVIL and a detrement to the good of man. Who's good? Those in power?<br /><br />Wake up folks!<br /><br />I can't wait to see some responses to this. "It's all a right wing conspiracy-"W"s fault and Haliburton"-blah-blah-blah. Tripe, at best.