exhaust & water discharge

Alws55

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm finishing up the tweaking of my '61 75 johnson....I cannot recall should there be exhaust exiting the discharge hole with the coolant water. <br /><br />Also the starboard side cylinders are running much hotter than the port side. I removed & inspected the thermostat box and fired the motor up & water is pumping thru, new impeller also. Are the 2 sides of the therm box separate for each side or the motor or are the all one system. There are the 2 set of springs one weak the other quite stiff. Can someone explain how this type cooling system works. Ran motor for 20+ min. and never had more than a light spray from discharge hole, even at 2 to 3000 rpm.

Alws55

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: exhaust & water discharge

Bump it up........hopefully for some feedback.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Alws - I light spray is normal especially if run in the driveway. When in the water and up on plane the volume of water should increase. Try to use temp sticks on the heads. I don't know about the 61 75s but the 70s & 80s should run around 140-147 degrees. Also make sure you don't run withour thermostats.

Alws55

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the reply.....there seems to be a heavy flow of exhaust exiting along with the spray...like a tailpipe...I've ran several 50's motors over the years and a '61 40 hp.....I don't recall this much air flow exiting the coolant water hole........thanks again.