Exhaust Question: Manifold/riser related

ponyman460

Seaman Apprentice
While searching the forum I have come across some very good information. I understand that in a salt water evironment, that you will need to inspect or replace the risers and/or manifolds approximately every 3-6yrs.

What I dont understand is what function is accomplished by running water through the exhaust system? I am not trying to sound dumb,....just uneducated on the subject as this is my first boat.

I removed the manifold/riser on my 350 SBC equipped boat to gain better access to the starter. Upon inspection I noticed the first 3 cylinders look great but the last one is very rusty on the INSIDE of the port. I assume this means there is some sort of crack and that I need to replace them. I am ok with this, but what I want to know is why you cant get some sort of header for the motor and reconfigure the cooling system? Seems like it would make a TON more power and require much less maint.

I have to assume the answer is to keep the heat down, but I want to know from the experts.

Thanks for putting up with my inexperience!

Rick

GLENN M

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Exhaust Question: Manifold/riser related

a boat engine is always under load,you have to cool exhaust.unless motor is open,headers wont last when you wrap them they bake and fall apart.plus i believe its required to pass safety laws.

ponyman460

Seaman Apprentice

a boat engine is always under load,you have to cool exhaust.unless motor is open,headers wont last when you wrap them they bake and fall apart.plus i believe its required to pass safety laws.

makes plenty of sense....thank you.

at this point, cant say that I am not the least bit concerned with water/rust I found inside the port :eek: Just hoping there is nothing wrong with the motor.

zbnutcase

Commander

Surprisingly little (if any) power is gained as you are dealing with an exhaust system 3 or 4 in diameter and 4 feet long...huge by automotive standards...not to mention the scavenging effect caused by the thru-hub exhaust outlet