Exhaust on 4.3 L OMC

ulster

Cadet
Exhaust on 4.3 L OMC<br />Where should the exhaust and cooling water leave these motors?<br />On my twins both are exhausting just above the horseshoe shaped anode on the front of the drive, I can not believe this is correct I was under the impression it should exhaust through the prop.<br /><br />Comments/advice appreciated.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Exhaust on 4.3 L OMC

Wrong forum for this and I'm sure it will be moved to the right one, just hold on.

Don S

Assuming you have the OMC Cobra, that is the normal place for water to come out when on a trailer. They are called idle reliefs. If the exhaust had to be forced out of the prop at idle when the boat was in the water, it would be too much back pressure and the idle quality would suffer.

ulster

Cadet

Would this not make the exhaust very loud?<br />It is difficult to have a conversation when cruising at 3000rpm? on both motors.

ulster

Cadet

If the exhaust fumes and c0ooling come out at the anode during idle is the system designed to exhaust through the prop when you engage the drive and increase engin speed?

Don S

Yes the exhaust goes through the prop when you are in gear and running. Noise is typical of planing hull boats.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Once the prop starts spinning, the water movement starts lowering the backpressure at the prop and most of the exhaust goes there instead. One of those path of least resistance things.

ulster

Cadet

Don S./WillyBWright,<br />Thanks for the input I was concerned there was something wrong.<br />Just come back from covering the boat for the winter, This is a great fourm, <br />Thanks again Guy's.