Exhaust manifold not the fix

diamonddave

Seaman
O.K. I had the manifold replaced on my 318 chrysler I.B., after all agreed the outboard manifold should be replaced (the inboard was replaced the year before by the previous owner) because I was getting steam from the exhaust port. Still getting steam after replacing manifold and riser, any suggestions.<br /><br />Regardds

highaltitude

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Exhaust manifold not the fix

steam would indicate an overheat problem. the exhaust is the end of the cooling system -not the beginning

yoced

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's quite possible the new manifold was installed exactly the same way as the original - ie, is not quiet right.<br /><br />Not uncommon for the chrysler engines to have mis-plumbed manifolds - even one out of three in a twin set up.<br /><br />I am concerned about the water distribution tube in your manifold: are you running one, should you be running one, and is it set up right if you are. A poorly plumbed wter tube can cause big steam issues.<br /><br />What we need to know is: <br /><br />1) Are you running a tube now?<br /><br />2) Should you be running a tube? the answer is YES if your engine sits at a fairly good tilt. If your engine sits flatter then you should not be intalling a tube.<br /><br />Next would be to discuss plumbing options given these answers..<br /><br />Modified gaskets can also lead to excessive steam.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Have had a small block Mopar for years. The old owner had the cooling system all screwed up. Found a old 318 sitting in a boat junkyard with its original cooling system. Copied it and have not had any problems. Do you have a closed or open cooling system? What temp are you running? Does the temp flux a lot?

diamonddave

Seaman

This is one of two engines in boat, stbd engine does'nt steam, and is plumbed the same way. Cooling system is open, I'm up here on the western end of Lake Ontario. Temp is a steady 150 degrees.

diamonddave

Seaman

Also, new manifold installed by pro mechanic, he agreed with me that the manifold was suspect. He ran engine up to temp and found outboard manifold was getting hot to the touch, inboard was not (inboard replaced by previous owner 2 years ago). I'm not happy, bills keep racking up.

navigator336

Petty Officer 1st Class

Has the problem engine ever run cool while you've had it? I doubt this is the problem but something easy to check is as follows: I assume that being Chrysler engines, one is counter rotating. If so, the water pump hoses should be reversed from one engine to the other. The water pump housing casting should have an indication for which port is the inlet and outlet for the direction of rotation.

flashback

Captain

can the pumps be swapped on these engines, if so then possibly the engine has the wrong pump for a counter rotating engine. :confused:

yoced

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Although I won't say it can't happen (strange things often do happen in this world...) the manifold itself may be the least likely cause of overheating. There is nothing in the interior of that manifold (or, rather there is not _supposed_ to be anything) that could in and of itself cause overheating or steam.<br /><br />An overly hot manifold is (usually) caused by bad plumbing or bad water flow. A water flow issue could be before the manifold or after it.<br /><br />But, as you stated that the other side had been replaced already, that it was getting hot, and that now the other side is getting hot I am tempted to think that you have adequate water flow, even if only just, and that the newer manifold is processing it better (less scale and rust in the interior). It is always worth checking the manifold in any case.<br /><br />But I would still suggest that in your efforts that you *make sure* of your plumbing - copying what was there by the prev owner does not necessarily make it right.