Exhaust Manifold Noise.

FourWinnsLC

Seaman
I'm hearing a popping, cracking... Noise at idle. From listening it sounds like its in the exhaust manifold rubber boot area, and you can place you hand on the rubber boots and feel it also.

Cracked exhaust manifold????, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

FourWinnsLC

Seaman
Re: Exhaust Manifold Noise.

I guess i should add its a 1996 fourwinns sundowner, 5.8 volvo penta

tpenfield

Staff member

A Youtube video of the noise from a few different angles would be good.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Almost sounds like the exhaust shutters bouncing around.

JON NEELEY

Seaman

Did you resolve this issue? My four winns was doing the same thing. What I found out when I removed the exhaust from risers was that the exhaust elbow was rubbing the riser. wouldnt know it unless I took the rubber boots loose and the elbow off. Can clearly see where it was vibrating. Simple adjustment of the eblow and it fixed the problem. While in there that deep I pulled the flapper our of Y pipe. Other flapper had already bit the dust and fell down in exhaust port. Dug it out with a coat hanger..Pain in neck!!! Volvo says we no longer need flappers since they will rot and fall down Y pipe anyways

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

What I found out when I removed the exhaust from risers was that the exhaust elbow was rubbing the riser.
Could you clarify? As far as I know, exhaust elbow and riser mean the same thing.

JON NEELEY

Seaman

Sure thing buddy, actually this is easier, where you exhaust meets your Y pipe, look there. You should see a rounded elbow the size of a softball that will go to your manifolds. Big rubber exhaust hose connects that elbow to the manifold.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Yes, none of the metal exhaust parts should ever be touching. Someone before you installed that incorrectly.

JON NEELEY

Seaman

yes Bruce, I would tend to have to agree with you and the things made a terrible vibration that drove me insane!!!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I didn't think it was physically possible to position them so that they touched. Guess not.

FourWinnsLC

Seaman

Did you resolve this issue? My four winns was doing the same thing. What I found out when I removed the exhaust from risers was that the exhaust elbow was rubbing the riser. wouldnt know it unless I took the rubber boots loose and the elbow off. Can clearly see where it was vibrating. Simple adjustment of the eblow and it fixed the problem. While in there that deep I pulled the flapper our of Y pipe. Other flapper had already bit the dust and fell down in exhaust port. Dug it out with a coat hanger..Pain in neck!!! Volvo says we no longer need flappers since they will rot and fall down Y pipe anyways

I Actually have it at the repair shop right now, just because I dont have any time to look at it my self. I told the repair shop what i thought was wrong with it, and he goes into saying hes has to check plugs and wires, compression checks..... I'm thinking at this point he seen me coming and its going to cost me big $$$$$ for something i could have done.

JON NEELEY

Seaman

oh man, not sounding good. I was lost as to what it could be. Took drive off and thats when I found 1 flapper. I replaced gimbal as this was a used boat along with bellows to start my own maintenance schedule. Put it all back together and still had the noise/vibration. Thats when I decided to take exhaust apart and definately a pain to get rubber boots seperated from elbow and sure enough the port side was overlapping the riser elbow and vibrating enough that you could see that it had been doing it a long time and wore the elbow half the thickness at that spot. very simple fix, slide elbow back,tighten crap out of boot and instant quiet motor!! oh and beat the flapper out with a thick long dowl and hammer and coat hanger to fish it out.

FourWinnsLC

Seaman

Ok, Marina was taking to long and I was getting withdraws from my boat, so I went and got it and wanted to check out the flappers in the exhaust like several of you suggested. And you were right.

But what we found was the actual flapper needed replaced ($25.00 new with bushings) but the biggest issue we ran into was the exhaust pipe was wopped out from the rod the flapper sits and pivots on. and ended up having to drill new holes 45 degrees from the original for a new rod. This has to be exact and trying to drill the holes perfect while crunched in the engine compartment like a pretzel was a challenge.

Here's a poor picture of the wopped out hole.

2012-07-24_14-51-02_397.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Why not just remove them and be done with it?

FourWinnsLC

Seaman

Well we went back and forth about replacing them or taking them out. I talked with a marina and they said they recommended replacing. Expecially if you are in rough water.

Thalasso

Commander

Well we went back and forth about replacing them or taking them out. I talked with a marina and they said they recommended replacing. Expecially if you are in rough water.

Volvo quit putting them in for whatever reason somewhere around your year of Manufacture. 99 i think

Thalasso

Commander

Volvo quit putting them in for whatever reason somewhere around your year of Manufacture. 99 i think

If you don't come of plane to idle fast (which you shouldn't do anyway) or back up hard it isn't going to inject water in the exhaust.