exhaust holes? MG Sea King 5HP

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently aquired an older Montgomery Ward Sea King 5.0 HP. I noticed something strange yesterday about the two holes that are about halfway up the shaft. I originally assumed they were exhaust holes, but I noticed that when I plug them, the exhaust redirects to come out of the prop somewhere underwater. When I do this the motor actually revs higher and seems to run smoother. Any ideas on what is going on here?

I have attached a video to illustrate.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: exhaust holes? MG Sea King 5HP

I'm pretty sure the exhaust is coming out of the undewater exhaust outlet.The relief holes are to make it easier for the motor at low speed.The speed up you have may change if you fine tune the low speed mixture valve on the carb.When you plug the holes it changes the way intake and exhaust flows through the motor.
creating an artifically created cumbustion mixture in the engine.
It might be interesting to see if the motor is easier or harder to start with the relief holes plugged.
Try a little duct tape over the holes after you have fine tuned the low speed mixture.

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: exhaust holes? MG Sea King 5HP

Hmm, so it is okay for the exhaust to come out both places.

I was hoping to quiet it down a bit, so if i can do that by safely plugging these holes I will.