Exhaust from T-Stat hole?

thresher15

Cadet
Ok, long story: 1996 150 Johnson. Bottomed out awhile back and sucked up a ton of sand. Motor overheated twice trying to get back. Each time there was water coming from the pisser. Finally get her back home and pull the LU to take a look. This thing was PACKED with sand; in, around and on top of the water pump, pick up tube and Tsats. I clean her out (or so I thought), new H2O pump and new stats and take her for a spin. 20 minutes of riding no problem then BEEEEEEP, overheat at 4200 rpms. Put it in neutral and light goes out in 10 seconds. Bring her back to the house, drop the LU again and dang! packed with sand again. (Never came near bottom this time, BTW) So this time I flush her completely: up the pick up tube, down the thermostat holes both front and back of the water jackets, and thru the pisser till I'm satisfied there is no more sand. Next I take the brand new pump apart, clean it and put it back together. (Replaced the gasket but everything else looked great.) Clean out and test the stats and all is good there. Put the lower unit back on start it on the muffs and the pump pushes water out of the tstat holes and clears the cowling. Put the stats back in, run it for 15 minutes or so and check head temp with pyrometer: every cylinder is between 110* and 145*. Shut her down, pop out the stats to look for sand, grit etc. and all looks good. Great, back in the water for Stripers!

That's when I notice smoke coming out of the starboard tstat hole. Not billowing, about as much as comes out of a shotgun barrell after a shot, but steadily coming out but not on the other side. It is definitely exhaust, not steam.

Is this normal? Do cooling water and exhaust mix here? I'm concerned that overheating 3 times may have warped the head and blown a gasket on this 11year old motor but then again I may be getting ahead of myself. Any advice/opinionswould be greatly appreciated, thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Exhaust from T-Stat hole?

sound like you blew an exhaust gasket, into the water passage. fix it before running again.. if exhaust can get out water can get in.

thresher15

Cadet
Re: Exhaust from T-Stat hole?

Bummer. Looks like I'm out for at least 2 weeks. I just don't have the time to attempt this myself.