Exhaust Flapper Fell off; Replace?

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1984 120HP Merc, alpha I outdrive. I heard a metallic clattering in the back where the water exhausts out one of the small holes on the side of the outdrive. Looking in, I see a small, thin stainless steel part about 1" wide. I think its the flapper that keeps water out of the exhaust line. Does it really need to be replaced?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Exhaust Flapper Fell off; Replace?

Yes

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

It prevents water from backashing into the motor. That broken vane may also be robbing you of power if it situates itself to block the exhaust. They break from age, use, but mostly from overheating. Whenever I get an overheated sterndrive in, I rebuild or replace the water pump. But that's not where it ends. That flapper must be inspected or replaced anytime the boat overheats. Failure to do so can roach the motor.

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually, it did overheat not too long ago-sounds like that was the culprit. <br /><br />Thanks.

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

My manual does not show the flapper or how to access it. What do I have to remove? Do I start at the section below the rubber boot after the elbow? Do I have to remove the elbow?

Bondo

Staff member

It appears there were 2 different Exhaust systems used when your boat was built,......<br /><br />Which of these is Your's,......<br />This is the New,+ Improved model.....<br />
43.png
<br /><br />This is the Earlier model.......<br />
42.png
<br /><br />Either 1 will require a little Digging to get too.........

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the pics! Mine is the older version. I'll see how many bolts get broken off during disassy...