exhaust elbow's

tommy c

Cadet
Hi Guy's,could someone tell me why my 1980 260 mercruiser has steel plates between the exhaust elbows and manifolds?this looks to me like it prevents water from flowing to the upper housing.I have heard some merc's do and some don't<br />thanks,this forum has'nt failed me yet. Tom

Bondo

Staff member
Re: exhaust elbow's

Do you have Closed-Cooling ???????

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> there were a few models that had a resrictor plate between the riser and the manifold. if the stainless plate has no holes its either closed cooling or someone did it wrong. if the plates have a tiny hole or sometimes two tiny holes its a restrictor plate. the t-stat housing may also have small nylon balls on a spring. they were trying to keep the riser temp up to help stop water from collecting in the exhaust during extended idleing. post back if you have closed cooling or if the plates have tiney about1/8"holes in them or if the plates have no holes other than the center exhaust hole.<br /> good luck and keep posting

tommy c

Cadet

Hi guy's,thanks for the response,rodbolt the system is raw water cooled,and there is 1 hole in the plate.Would this cause a cooling issue with the system?btw the T-stat does not have any nylon balls in it. Thanks Tom

tommy c

Cadet

Hi guy's,this may be a difficult question,but i would really like to know if i can remove the plates between the risers and manifolds or leave them on,looking for any advice,i would like to remove them but i'm not going to question merc's engineer's.please help. Tom

Bondo

Staff member

Would this cause a cooling issue with the system?
Actually,<br />The Question Is,<br />Are You having Any Cooling Issues Now ????????<br />If Not, Put it back together Just like you Found it.............. ;) <br /><br />These Restrictor Plates, Slow the water flow, enabling the water to draw More Heat out of the block + manifolds, Before it's dumped overboard.....

tommy c

Cadet

Thanks Bondo,i did put it back together the way it came apart,i did have a cooling problem but it was a siezed T-stat and bad T-stat housing,upon reading other post's it seem's this is a curious subject.I'm still learning about I/O engines,up until now i only had outboards.<br />Thanks again.