EXHAUST BELLOWS

BMDODGE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
just got my first boat 1988 stingray svb176,it has a 3.0L mercruiser i/o (alpha 1)...<br />just got her started and i noticed that the exhaust bellows are ripped,water intake line a little dry rotted,etc... (boat was in storage,inside,for 2-years) my question is Will it hurt anything if i put it the water this year ?? not planning on leaving it in ,just thought if i'm going to have to replace all the bellows i just want to make sure the tranny+stern,etc... is o.k - thanks

Paulinct

Cadet
Re: EXHAUST BELLOWS

I wouldnt advise taking the boat out for pleasure in that condition. I know that isn't what you wanted to hear :) The torn exhaust bellows will be a constant leak, while you are in the water (not a small one either). If your intake hose fails your engine will be running without any cooling. After sitting for a couple of years your intake impeller is probably in bad shape also. I am not sure how "handy" you are but changing these three things isn't too bad of a job. Not very expensive if you do it yourself either. (gaskets,bellows,impeller kit)Should be able to do all three in one day

Wellcraft 89

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would not put it in the water,the water will be coming in the boat bildge area.<br />You can chk the what you need to chk out of the water.<br />chk the following<br />Gas tank<br />oil in crankcase <br />gear lube<br />My suggestion if you have not own a boat before is to get a service manual. <br />if the boat has sat that long and you don't know the history .<br />Change the water pump in the lower unit,while you have the drive off ,chking the gimble bearings and u-joints.<br />get muffs to run water to the unit when out of water.<br /><br />Rich <br />sorry the other person posted while I was typing

BMDODGE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the advice...even if it wasn't what i wanted to hear... i have a whole family of gearhead's to help.i was a mechanic - now just a maintance guy. one uncle is a boat guy so i should be able to tackle it myself. found www.mercstuff.com - any idea on a good service book ???

conimicut1

Seaman Apprentice

If you think you will be doing most of the work yourself or your family and not a dealer, I'd advise a mercuiser manual. The ones at the bookstores like seloc are not detailed enough. I paid 35 bucks each for two mercruiser manuals, one for the drive, one for the motor. I know its pricey, but everything is in there, even if some of the photos suck. Maybe you can find one cheaper online. Alot of the basic stuff can be found online for free, but manuals are best.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I dont worry to much with exahust bellows. they have water in them anyway<br /> the exhaust wont sink you. the drive bellows or shift cable bellows will.<br />to change all the bellows and the water hose is not super difficult. you will need an exhaust bellows expander tool. a shift cable tool. the shift cable tool can be made by welding two 9/16ths deep sockets together. also check the upper shift shaft seals<br />and you should do a water pump kit as well.<br />Do not just go buy some automotive heater hose for water intake hose.<br /> it will only collapse oneday while you are trimmed and cause problems<br /> buy the molded hose from merc and be done with it.<br />its a lot of work but not real difficult. while your at it change the gimbal bearing and check the ujoints. good luck and buy the manual. then read it and fully understand it. if you have never owned a boat before it may be money well spent to meet a mercruiser tech at the ramp and have them go over it with you.

Skinsk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with Rodbold, hell Mercuiser even sells a boot that fits on to the transom nipple of the exhaust, and which simply slides over the gearcase nipple when the drive is trimmed down. The exhaust bellows will not sink you, but I would take a good look at the other two bellows under there. If the shift bellows goes, you'll start to take on water, and if the main bellows goes, you take on water, and probably take out your upper drive gears, u-joints, gimball bearing, and or yoke sealing surface.<br /><br />Just check everything for dry rot, and when in doubt change them all..<br /><br />and while you're at it, now would be a good time to check the shift bushing seal in the bell housing for wear. Mercruiser has a completely updated bushing kit, with two much bigger seals that will keep your shift cavity from filling up and ruining your shift cable.. :) <br /><br />Scott..

BMDODGE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for all the advice ... if i do take it out it won't be for long so i'm not too worried about taking on water - just don't want to damage any more stuff . i have it here at the shop and have some ears for it. going to run it with the ears and move the sterndrive around a bit and see what happens......thanks again - bruce