Exhaust Bellows?

chuckinduck

Cadet
Is it possible for water to enter a boats bilge through exhaust bellows? I've got a 97 islander w/ a 4.3L Merc I/O thats developed a leak, I'm wondering if that may be a possible point of entrance? I've checked the boats rivets and tried plugging livewells without any luck. The marina seemed to dismiss that as a possible point of entrance. Any ideas. Thanks. Ryan

havasuboatman

Ensign
Re: Exhaust Bellows?

Not unless there is a loose hose inside the boat.
There is water in the exhaust bellows all the time when the boat is in the water. Running or not. A hole in the exhaust bellows will not allow water into the boat.
A hole in the U-joint bellows, however, will allow water into the bellows.

chuckinduck

Cadet

Not unless there is a loose hose inside the boat.
There is water in the exhaust bellows all the time when the boat is in the water. Running or not. A hole in the exhaust bellows will not allow water into the boat.
A hole in the U-joint bellows, however, will allow water into the bellows.

Thanks, the shift cable/u-joint bellows were replaced last fall. I'm hoping its not the gasket leaking around the lower unit assembly.:confused:

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

Put the boat in the water and with it tied up to the dock take a flashlight and very closely inspect the whole transome area, the light from the flashlight will glisten off any water trickling in.
Also, start the boat and with it idleing inspect the (I forget the name of them) rubber "boots" that connect the riser to the down pipe, I've seen a leak at that point before in another boat.
If you have a swim ladder or deck on back, check all the screws and make sure they're tight.

havasuboatman

Ensign

Sorry, I ment to say a hole in the U-joint bellows will allow water into the bilge.
Any way, have you gotten under there to verify that the leak is not from somewhere on the engine? Is the water running down the transom below the motor? If it is, it's a leak thru a transom component.
Does the boat leak whether or not the engine is running?
You may need to use a mirror and a flashlight to find the leak. If you cannot find it visually, you may have to remove the motor.

chuckinduck

Cadet

Sorry, I ment to say a hole in the U-joint bellows will allow water into the bilge.
Any way, have you gotten under there to verify that the leak is not from somewhere on the engine? Is the water running down the transom below the motor? If it is, it's a leak thru a transom component.
Does the boat leak whether or not the engine is running?
You may need to use a mirror and a flashlight to find the leak. If you cannot find it visually, you may have to remove the motor.

I don't believe its on the engine, because even when its in the slip the bilge still kicks on. The leak appeared to be dripping from the middle of the lower unit housing, the water was trickling over it, not around the outside of the lower unit case.

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like the same problem i was having. Just a small trickle of water coming in. Just found a small finger size hole on the shift cable bellow. Might want to double check your bellow.