Exhaust Bellow

PT

Seaman
I have a inch & a half slit in my exhaust bellow. Will this cause any problems or damage.

PT

Seaman
Re: Exhaust Bellow

This is a OMC Cobra. 400 model i belive. Im beggining to wonder if i need to sale this boat. Just replaced the floors. Last year when i had the boat in water I started to hear the viberation from the outdrive. after reading posts in here i wonder if its the gimbal bearing, also i noticed the shifter cable connecting to the outdrive has a worn spot in it (plastic around it) to the point that the metal casing around the cable is exposed. So if i am correct Gimbal Bearing, 3 bellows, might as well change the u joints, shifter cable, shifter boot, Anything else?

Rickbaro

Cadet

Sound like you need to put some money into the thing. Doubt you'd get much money for it as is. <br />Regarding the bellows. with the slit, you'll spit out exhaust and water into your engine compartment. Hopefully it won't be sucked up into the carb. But probably will. Either cut your losses, or fix it up for another season before selling.

rogerwa

Commander

If the bellows on a cobra is anything like my Alpha 1 the slit in the exhaust boot won't hurt anything. It may just be louder. If it were the drive bellows or the shift cable bellows, that could sink you.. I would inspect them to be safe..

bobmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no will not hurt a thing .just louder on plane

bobmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class

matter of fact the new style exhaust bellows come with holes across the bottom of them

PT

Seaman

appreciate your opinions mates. I think i should pull the drive off for inspection, makes me wonder what else is going on inside that i cant see, I have never taken a out drive off but looks fairly easy, do i need a engine alignment tool or can this be done without it. With the help from this forum i think i can fix anything :D