exhaust bellow separation trip this weekend

my3wags

Cadet
Pretty much says it all !! 5.7 Alpha 1 gen 1 just did bellows a few weeks ago and the exhaust bellow came off the transom. In turn, the bellow is now ripped because the the drive slit it when I put it down. I don't have time to replace it before my trip in two days so my question. Can I run it this way then replace after the trip? 2 days in the water. will it hurt anything?
thanks for your time
Erik

Bondo

Staff member
Re: exhaust bellow separation trip this weekend

Ayuh,... It'll be Fine,... Put the Tube, instead of the bellows, on it after the vacation....

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

....you may notice a slightly louder exhaust tone, especially at idle and just maybe a little sooting on the transom (engine tune dependent).
Other than that, enjoy the weekend as we watch for Mr. Earl.

Bifflefan

Commander

I have ran a tube on this boat all the time, they work well but am going back to the bellows as I dont like how loud it is.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Yeah....you'll be just fine!

My 460 King Kobra ran for about 15 years with NO exhaust bellows! It didn't seem to know the difference!!

Have a great vacation!!

Rick

Reds Green

Cadet

2000 Mercruiser 4.3 Alpha Gen II

Make your exhaust bellows purchase carefully. This May I replaced my bellows including the exhaust bellows using Sierra as recommended by my local Mercruiser dealer. Here's what I ended up with. Lasted maybe 10 operating hours. Suggestion: DO NOT USE SIERRA EXHAUST BELLOWS 18-2750. I decided to try a Mallory 9-72730 Exhaust Bellows this time around. I'll post my observations if I have any problems.

Exhaust Bellows.jpg

[Aug-23-2012]
The Mallory Exhaust Bellows is still in good shape. No problems with it yet. An installation tip that might be helpful - Make sure the parting seam in your exhaust bellows is clocked horizontally, that is, the seam is visible when looking at it from the sides. The Sierra one I put in I disregarded the clocking of it and suspect it came apart along the parting seam. I looked at a friends (old) boat and noted the exhaust bellows was clocked horizontally, seemingly intentionally. I made sure the Mallory's seam was clocked to horizontal when I installed it and so far so good. I haven't ever run across any recommendation for clocking the seam, so this is strictly a *maybe* tip, but its also one that one that won't cost a cent and might be that extra little bit to help your exhaust bellows live a long life.

Last edited:

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

2000 Mercruiser 4.3 Alpha Gen II

Make your exhaust bellows purchase carefully. This May I replaced my bellows including the exhaust bellows using Sierra as recommended by my local Mercruiser dealer. Here's what I ended up with. Lasted maybe 10 operating hours. Suggestion: DO NOT USE SIERRA EXHAUST BELLOWS 18-2750. I decided to try a Mallory 9-72730 Exhaust Bellows this time around. I'll post my observations if I have any problems.

View attachment 66541

Mallory is not any better.....hate to say that but have seen the Mallory bellows fail in less than 2 seasons.
I think they are both made in China junk...:rolleyes:

scoflaw

Ensign

Just bought a merc quicksilver ex. bellows. Made in china. The great american sellout. The merc U joint bellows I bought says parts are from USA assembled in china. Go figure what that means.

davemoore

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is ANYTHING made in the USA any more?

Everything I buy these days is made in China!

What's happening to our country? Sad...