Exhaust bellow leaks

Jimmy627

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 90 bayliner with a L-Drive 120hp(enough said). Any way I replaced the exhaust bellow hose a few months ago, I took it out of the water to clean & flush the motor. I put the whole outdrive in a large bucket with the hose running. I look'd under & seen water coming out from where the hose connects to the 4inch nipple coming out of the transom. I shut it down & made sure the clamps was tight & they were. I took the bellow off to make sure there was no holes & there was none,I also checked the nipple for crack's & there was none. The clamps I am using are the heavy duty one's with the bolt & nut. I put the bellow hose back on & secured it, started it back up & the same thing happened. Is there a sealant I'm suppose to use on it. The only reason I'm asking that is when I purchased the bellow hose the mercury dealer was trying to get me to have them install it & I told them that I could install it. When I asked them if I need any sealant or anything beside's the clamps to install it they said no just the hose & clamps. I know there are people on this forum that know what they are talking about & would not steer anybody wrong. I need these people to help me figure this out PLEASE ! Thanks Jim

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: Exhaust bellow leaks

Jim, from what you describe according to my manual is the "exhaust flange" that the "exhaust bellows" connects to.
Water occupy's the "water inlet hose," "exhaust flange", "exhaust bellows," these are the places I would think the leak may originate from. Don't know much about the L-Drives, I've seen one in my lifetime and thought it looked pretty cool. Anyway hope something here will help.

According to what I see in the manual the hose clamps are what hold the exhaust bellows in place, didn't see anything about any sealer being used.

max!

Jimmy627

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. My repair manual says the same. I installed new clamps today & it still leaks. I also switched the hose around just incase i put it on backwards but still leaks. I am stumped !!!:confused:

maxum247

Lieutenant

Have you checked to see if the flange that the exhaust bellows clamps to is cracked behind the four inch nipple, maybe at the water inlet side of the flange.

Jimmy627

Seaman Apprentice

Yup. I took it off & checked it for cracks . I also call the Mercury dealer where I purchased it & you can probly guess what they said. Bring it in & we'll fix it. Right off the bat that sounds like alot of $$$$$. I really do not wan't to buy another hose ($237) when there is nothing wrong with it (I hope). I'm waiting for a friend of mine to return my call to see if he could help(he's a old school mechanic very good at fixing problems) Just take's a while to get him. Well thanks again & if you or anyone else who reads this knows someone that could help me Please Please have them post the all mighty answer.:D

maxum247

Lieutenant

If you can post picture's showing it leaking or at least the general area it's leaking in, may help someone to better figure out your problem.

max!