Excel experts, help!

Nandy

Commander
I have created an excel spreadsheet to keep a log of the vegetable harvest to be able to quantify and compare the economic side of it against market prices and also keep tab of my harvest trhu the years. I am happy about the way this spread sheet has developed but there is just one thing I cant do and honestly, im tired of trying. right now I enter the quantity of the specific vegetable harvested and the weight in decimal pounds. The spread sheet tallies the quantities/weight to different totals. However, my home scale measures in pounds/ounces. I would like to enter the weight in that way and forget about converting ounces to decimal pounds. Is there anyone that can do this for me? I really dont have much use for excel so I dont care about learning how to do it, in this case, I just need it done or some to tell me how to do it...
I had to change the file extension from xlsx to pdf because the uploader keep telling me it was an invalid format file. Once you download the file you will have to change the extension. Excel will open the file up if you have excel already open, select "open" then change the "file of type:" option to "All Files (*.*). You will get a warning but you can just proceed, but better is to just change the name before trying to open it up.

Thanks as usual...

PS - Any constructive criticism about the spreadsheet is welcome.

Attachments

• vegetable_harvest_log_2012.pdf
    31.4 KB · Views: 0

StickyWidget

Seaman
Re: Excel experts, help!

Do you want both the column weights to use pounds and ounces as well as the totals?

foodfisher

Captain

Private garden vs market prices Fuggetaboutit. No help on your spreadsheet prob.

Nandy

Commander

Short answer, everything that is weight I want it to be in pounds/oz. Quantity will be an integral number (no decimals).

Assuming you are looking at the spreadsheet. If you go to columns p thru s which are the onions columns... Column P is quantity(as amount, ex 10 onions) only, and Q should be pounds/oz(as those 10 onions together weighted 1 pound 2 oz), same for the next onion, first column R is quantity and second column is weight. Then if you are looking at merged row/column p44 and q44 that will be the total quantity of all onions, merged row/column r44 and s44 are the total weight of all onions and should be pound/oz as well.
Column B is accumulative quantity for the day and column c is accumulative weight for the day expressed in pound/oz...

I hope I answer your question, thanks for looking at it...

Nandy

Commander

Private garden vs market prices Fuggetaboutit. No help on your spreadsheet prob.

I haven't sit down to check this on detail but after the initial soil amendment (about $60 to $80 in compost total for 2 years, dont need to buy it anymore) and garden hardware has been set up/bought all my expenses are the plants, which not a single plant cost me over 2 dollars, no matter what it is , im sure that I spend over $2 dollars a year in any vegetable I eat out of the store specially if it is organic like my vegestables. I try to plant what we eat the most(3 types of tomatoes, 4 types of pepper, egplant, 2 types of beans, 2 types of peas, 4 types of squash, onions, garlic, 2 types of potatoes, etc...). I dont do much irrigation other than the first 2 weeks of planting to help them establish strong roots. About $4 to $6 on fertilizer every 2 weeks, about $21 on pest control per season, 1 gal of gas for the tiller per season... I think I will actually come under the market price but there is only one way to do it and it is the scientific way, that is why I am building this spreadsheet...

Nandy

Commander

yes, ounces should be an integer, I will have 2 ounces or 3 ounces but not 2.5 ounces. I appreciate the help. I try to learn how to do much of the stuff I get involved into but at age 44 I am starting to learn to delegate, I cant and will not know it all... (dont tell my kids... lol)...

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yes, ounces should be an integer, I will have 2 ounces or 3 ounces but not 2.5 ounces. I appreciate the help. I try to learn how to do much of the stuff I get involved into but at age 44 I am starting to learn to delegate, I cant and will not know it all... (dont tell my kids... lol)...

I hear ya. After 30 years in software development (out of it now) I don't even want to think about it anymore.

However, offhand, you are looking at a major reconstruction of the spreadsheet. Each input is now going to have to be two cells instead of one, and every cell that references the input information will have to be changed/split.

Is it worth it or maybe just memorize your 16ths table. lol

Sea ya.

Nandy

Commander

I hear you too Captain. Im not really sure what will it take to get what I want done, not sure if a macro or a formula will do it, I know I can hide columns if they are not much use to me... The spreadsheet does have a table at the bottom with the conversion table but im just trying to avoid that if possible.
Thanks everyone!

Nandy

Commander

sorry, just made it home from work, it looks great! will play with it a bit more tomorrow... thanks a lot!!!!

Nandy

Commander

That spread sheet is awesome! From looks to formulas it is great... I started entering the data (which is not much since I was a month late planting) and everything looks good. Thanks StikyWidget, you sure know your way around Excel. This spreadsheet got me in thinking mood and I will see if I can make some additions to it. Once I get my thoughts straight I will share and see what you think about it.

Thanks!

StickyWidget

Seaman

I can make Excel do just about anything anyone could ever want and make it look appealing too. Truth be told though most people should be using Access instead, it is meant to store data and can scale much more easily. But most people do not have the versions of Microsoft Office that include Access in it, it costs a good deal more.

Sure wish I could find an employer that would use me more for my brain. If you don't have a degree in this or that it seems you are shut out too much.

Nandy

Commander

I know what you are talking about. I seen it many times, people that can do the job dont get the job because they do not have the paper...

dolluper

Captain

look Under format .....choose approx designation to update spreedsheet.......update cells needed....for those required