Evinrude

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueVIP

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking at buying a bass boat with a evinrude XP 150 on it. It’s an 88 I believe. I’m a little hesitant due to the fact evinrude closed there doors. How long will one be able to get parts for these motors if something does happen? Thoughts?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They have not closed the doors as far as I know.---Stopped marketing big 2 strokes !------They are developing new product as we speak.-------Most parts for that motor are available aftermarket as well.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
BRP's press announcement said they are discontinuing their manufacture of outboard motors, and will be directing future efforts toward their boat lines and "other marine products".

They signed an agreement with Mercury Marine to handle their warranty and parts obligations for 12 years, obviously for recent manufacture models.

If your XP is a pre-Ficht model, there should be aftermarket parts available for most any normal maintenance. If its a Ficht don't buy it because that was one of the reasons that put Evinrude out of business in the first place.

BlueVIP

Seaman Apprentice
How do you tell if it’s a Ficht or what does that stand for?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Ficht is Evinrude's trade name for their direct injection 2-strokes. It's circa 1995 - 2000 and was only on their larger V-block engines. The performance was bad and many of those engines grenaded. Supposedly, they were fixing more under warranty than they were selling. BRP redesigned the system.

BlueVIP

Seaman Apprentice
Ok thanks. It’s an 88 I believe. Going to check it out tonight with compression gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.