Evinrude XP 10 Water Pump still problems

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a water problem with my XP. No water from the tell tail. I pulled out the pipe and it was full of sand. Obviously blocked. <br /><br />I am planning to drop the lower unit and look at the state of the pump, or is there a quicker way to check the circuit? I only see a short length of pipe.<br /><br />To drop the lower unit, what is the fastest approach to get the gear linkace disconnected to allow the lower unit to come free. It looks like either the carb or the starter pulley should be removed?<br /><br />Appreciate a good steer.<br /><br />Thanks

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Evinrude XP 10 Water Pump still problems

I have had a look at this, I will tackle the carb. Hope this is the easiest.<br /><br />I looked through the forum for similar posts but drew a blank.<br /><br />Anyone better advice?

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well, it wasn't either. There is a connector inside the gearbox housing. When the lower unit is split the gear mechanism can be dosconnected.<br /><br />Anyway, I bought a new pump and replaced it. I couldn't see much wrong with the old one. Just before I put it all back I thought I would connect a host pipe to the pump discharge and see what happens.<br /><br />Nothing really happens. Lots of back pressure and hardly any water coming out of the top hose. Hose is clear. When I connect the hose to tyhe water outlet at the top I do see water coming out of the pump end, but not much and no real pressure.<br /><br />I have a restriction somewhere but I don't know where. Does this engine have a thermostat. If so, does anyone know wher. I have not got a manual.<br /><br />Can someone help me I am at a blank.<br /><br />Thanks

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

all watercooled engins should have a thermostst. that may be your probablem .

clanton

Rear Admiral

Water tube grommet under the powerhead is restricting the water flow.

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Clanton,<br /><br />Could you elaborate please. Should this be there? I read that there is a pressure regulator as well as a thermostat. If I increase water presure from a hose pipe I get a surge from the water tube, then it slows.<br /><br />If the grommet shouldn't be there how do I remove it.<br /><br />If with a hose I am seeing water flow in both directions maybe everything is OK?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />NG

clanton

Rear Admiral

The thermostat is located rear of engine above the top sparkplug, should be a plate/cover with 4 screws, under the plate/cover is the thermostat and spring. The thermostst body is the bypass valve and the spring controls pressure. Depending on year of engine. Remove the thermostat and run engine, you should have a gusher of water come out of the hole where the thermostat was. The waterpump also has to have a seal above the inpeller cup, may be on top of pump housing, seal looks like an oil seal, if this seal bad or missing will not pump enough water. After you have done this and you still over heat the water tube grommet under the power head is causing a restriction, you will have to remove the power head to replace the grommet. The grommet is a common problem with this engine. The fix is when you install the grommet, the grommet should fit under the flare on the copper tube, this will make the tube about a 1/4 inch shorter. You can gain about 3/16 of the tube back by unbended the bends and rebending, then insure the watertube goes into the waterpump housing grommet to seal.

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Clanton,<br /><br />Thanks for this information.<br /><br />As I live in a hot climate I was thinking of removing the thermostat for good. Any problems with this.<br /><br />I will test with the cover off. I hope the head doesn't have to come off as it sounds a lot of work.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />NG

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yippee.<br /><br />Thermostat itself was trashed! This also explains the surging. Water pressure would buil;d up, thermostat would open, release the pressure and close. Obvious really after thinking about it.<br /><br />However the thermostat was full of sand and hardly any water came out. <br /><br />I fixed the hose to the pump outlet and let it fun on high pressure. Eventually the sand dislodged and now running free.<br /><br />I am confident that when it is all assembled again I will have water flow.<br /><br />Thanks for everyones advice.<br /><br />NG