Evinrude XD30 alternative???

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been using Evinrude XD30 in several of my outboards and use about a gallon in 2 to 3 days. Is there a alternative or equivalent? I use the boats daily for work and am wanting to cut back on expenses a little. Besides, the closest place that has it in stock is about a 40 minute drive from me and I don't have to run there often other than buying a few gallons of oil.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude XD30 alternative???

The XD30 is your typical TCWIII oil. Any OE TCWIII oil is equilivent as is the Pennzoil TCWIII. You should be able to buy XD30 in bulk and save a bunch. You should be able to buy bulk XD30 in your gallon jugs or even by the drum. If you have trouble getting your dealer to hook you up let me know. I know a dealer who will be glad to help out.

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been buying it in bulk in my containers for $20 a gallon but the drive is a pain sometimes. I may just start running the penzoil since I can pick it up at wal-mart for about $15 a gallon. I appreciate the info.

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the West Marine oil ok to use in a '96 88 Johnson. It meets all specs and at $13.00 a gallon seems like a deal. And do you have to run 50:1? A thread was started on running higher ratios(75-100:1) With high quality oil can this be done?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

And do you have to run 50:1? A thread was started on running higher ratios(75-100:1) With high quality oil can this be done?

There are a gazillion oil threads out here if you do a search. Use TCW-3 rated oil and run at the manufacturers recommended ratio. Anything less is aking for trouble.
Would you put a few quarts less oil in your car at oil change time because you were using "good stuff"
Just mt 2 cents and humble opinion.