Evinrude water in cyl

Qld_Kev

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My dramas continue...<br />My 1977 55hp Evinrude (2 banger) has been running perfect for the last couple of weeks (since its new poser pack). Yesterday we went for a run, about 1 hour, after we started, we stopped at a beach for a swim. The engine spluttered and coughed on restarting. I made it home slowely, low on power and spluttering. At home I checked it over, good spark on both pots. I noticed the bottom piston doing no work at all. With the spark plug out and running it on the top piston it spits a lot of water out form the spark plug hole. So assumption 1 is the water jacket has corroded into the bore. Assumption number 2, serious $$$ for repairs time. Can anyone let me know if these assumptions sound correct.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude water in cyl

Sorry to disappoint you, but you may have nothing more than a blown head gasket. I know that sounds pretty awful, but on a 2-stroke it's no big deal. There are probably around 10 bolts to remove the head. Then it's just a matter of scraping the surfaces and torquing with a new gasket. Probably in the $20 neighborhood for the gasket. :)

Qld_Kev

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the reply. Sounds too good to be true. I started the engine the this morning and it ran/idled good. Is this normal for head gaskets.

Qld_Kev

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also do you have to actually remove the power head before removing the head from the block? Just my book is pretty basic. It doesn't seem to hard to remove the power head.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

The powerhead can stay on. Most of the bolts will come out just fine. For the ones that don't, unscrew them as far as you can and the head should slide straight up. It wouldn't be unusual for it to not get wet on the muffs, basically because of no back-pressure on the exhaust. It's not so much water pressure forcing it in as the piston sucking it in. Water pressure is puny in comparison.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> while the head is off. clean it and lay a straight edge acrossed the surfaces. use a .oo2" feeler gauge and check for warpage. if a .002" will pass under the straight edge, surface the head. the exhaust divider plate can also leak and spray water in a cyl. the most common cause is head gasket due to an overheat and no working alarm system. change the t-stat and pressure contro valve grommet while the head is off.

Qld_Kev

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replies. I *think* the heat alarm works, it did go off about 6 months ago, maybe thats when the damage got started.