Evinrude vs Mercury Outboards

etbill52

Seaman
I may have this in the wrong place, Need some input on Evinrude or Mercury Outboard. I have owned 4 boats with mercury never own an Evinrude. I am about to get a 1990 bass boat w/ a 110 Evinrude. Should I stay with Mercury or is Evinrude just as good?

Thanks for any info. on this.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Evinrude vs Mercury Outboards

was mercury ever good?seriously though there,s nothing wrong with evinrude motors atall.where i live omc out does merc 10:1 in used motors ,in new motors im seeing way more mercs and yamaha,s.

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have a 1988 Johnson 110, essentially the exact same motor and I love it.
Ironically it replaced a 60hp merc that came on the boat. I only got rid of the Merc because I needed more power and let me tell you, the 110 Johnny has plenty of it. I plane out in about 3 seconds with a top speed of over 40 mph on a 17' aluminum bowrider.
I have to admit that the Merc was a pretty sweet motor too, it just didnt have the power I needed.

psinatra

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I couldn't really tell you but I gotta say, mercs have always been the coolest looking motors out there. Since the beginning of time. Some older ones even looked like cylons! The e-tecs are the close second.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Having owned and worked on both makes, J/E motors are easier to work on and have way better parts support, especially for older motors. Both are good motors, though.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Having owned and worked on both makes, J/E motors are easier to work on and have way better parts support, especially for older motors. Both are good motors, though.

I concur with wilde1j. Merc. motors are hard to work on under the hood. Lotsa stuff gets in the way.

etbill52

Seaman

Thanks everyone for your fast reply's I have 2 Mercurys now one a 1965 100hp, and one on a pontoon 1984 115hp. But I needed some input on the Evinrude before I bough it. Thanks again, This is a great fourm, with a lot of helpful people on it.:)