Evinrude Tilt Cylinder seal

bimar21

Cadet
Hi! Have a 1990 200hp Evinrude that have been leaking fluid through the top seal for quite some time. It have been getting worst so I decided to replace the seal on the shaft. I already ordered the kit and was able remove only the tilt cylinder without the rest of the unit. I was also able to remove the top cap with a grinder tool that fitted perfectly. My big question is, how do I get the center seal from the cap out? The lower part of the piston that goes inside the cylinder housing has some kind of nut that I was able to remove and it secure a washer that compresses several small springs but that piece of the piston does not move so I'm nor sure is this will come off or if I have to remove the other side of the piston (where the big pin attaches the swivel bracket) that looks more difficult to remove. Will appreciate more help on this procedure as it is the only step holding me of fixing this cylinder.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude Tilt Cylinder seal

Go to shop.evinrude.com and look for a parts break down of the unit. The piston should pop off of the ram so you can get the cap off.

Last edited:

bimar21

Cadet

Thanks for the reply, last night I was able to remove the nut on lower side of the piston (tilt rod) and remove the assembly without loosing any of the springs within the assembly/body and then removed the cap from the piston shaft. My issue was that I wasn't sure if that assembly came off unscrewing it (but it just pulled off) or if it was the eye of the tilt rod that one that must be removed to take the cap out. Now just have to wait to receive the rest of the parts (bushings) to re-install and test. Thanks again!

bimar21

Cadet

How is the seal supposed to be installed? With the open channel facing up (to the outside of the tilt cylinder) or facing down? In the one I just removed the open channel was facing up but normally seals are installed with the open channel facing inward to the unit. Is this different? Will it make difference? To me the way it was installed (open channel facing up) will promote the seal getting damaged earlier since sand, salt or debris will accumulate in this channel and promote degradation.

RRitt

Captain

Most upper seals are solid urethane with a square base and an angled scraper blade. The angled blade faces away from cylinder. Some systems use a rotating shaft seal with spring loaded lip. It is not as good as a scraper but is stocked in a wider variety of sizes. If your kit uses one of these for the upper seal then the u-cup will be open towards the outside.

Inner seals are usually orings but some systems will use u-cups to avoid having to cut a bevel on piston shaft. If you system uses a u-cup for the lower seal then the open side of U should face toward the inside of cylinder.

bimar21

Cadet

So this mean the seal I removed was correctly oriented and the new seal should go the same way, open side of the u or channel facing outward. In my case the cap had an inner o-ring inside (below the seal) and another one outside the cap over the threaded part. The way this system works is that the o-ring inside the cap keeps the fluid from escaping outside and the seal keeps water or contamination getting into the cylinder, similar to the seals in the lower unit that uses 2 u cup seals one facing away from the other for the same reason?

RRitt

Captain

yes, if both of your shaft seals are a U shape then they will face in opposite directions.

bimar21

Cadet

Big thanks! Tilt cylinder o-rings and seal replaced, system filled/bled and working again but without leaking!