Evinrude starter turns motor then kicks out

XRFjlong

Cadet
Hey guys i have a 1992 175 evinrude wehn i get to the lake it starts fine.... after running just a few mins and try to restart it... turn the key and the starter truns the motor over but then the starter kicks out and spins free...

i have lubed the bendix a new starter was put on last year. i have a hot battery and cable are good...

i talked to a mechanic and he said that the motor may be flooding which will cause the motor to not spin fast enough to keep up with the starter then in turn causes the starter to kick out of the fly wheel crank the motor seems to be flooding to because of a strong gas smell and oily texture in the water sitting still...

does this therory seem logical? again the motor turns over for a few seconds then ziiiiiinnnnggg the starter free spins when i start it over and over for 5 to ten mins it will finnally crank

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude starter turns motor then kicks out

You either have a flywheel whereas the bottom of the teeth in some area are worn upwards at an angle, OR........

One cylinder has low compression and the next firing cylinder has normal compression. That sudden drop in compression and the laxing of the starter bendix gear results in having the bendix gear engage a sudden high amount of pressure on the next cylinder. As this normal compression cylinder (piston) goes past top dead center, it starts down with a slight increase of rpm. This results in fooling the bendix gear into thinking that the engine has fired and has started so to speak....... That sudden increase in the rpm kicks the bendix out of the flywheel.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Evinrude starter turns motor then kicks out

Double check your battery as well. It may seem fine, but not holding up under load. Have a load check done. If it's not putting out 12.0 or better volts under load, replace it. Mine did the same thing until I replaced the battery.