Evinrude Starflite III timing Questions

thomasmunka

Cadet
Hi

I've read a few different things about setting the timing on a 1961 Evinrude Starflite III (75hp) engine on this forum....all seem to be a little bit different; maybe I'm just reading them wrong

If I have this correct, to set the timing:
1) Align the flywheel pulley line and other matching line on the block
2) Align the line on the timing pulley, matching sized line on the coil body, and the button on the red switch

.... or should I align the line on the timing pulley, the thinly sized line on the coil body, and the button on the red switch??

Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude Starflite III timing Questions

Help us to help you. I know that a Starflite III is a 1961. But we need to know if it is a magneto or Unicharger model. The distributor cap on a magneto points downward. The Unicharger distributor is on top, pointing upward. Makes a difference.

DN3575

Recruit

I don't mean to piggyback on your question but this is my first time here and I'm just glad to find another Starflite III. I have a 75HP 1961 Unicharger, and this is where my problems start. I get a green light on the dash, and when I turn the key the starter turns the flywheel however I am getting no spark from the ignition coil. In fact I'm getting no voltage I believe to the coil (as measured by a multimeter). I will keep working my way backwards but I'm not really sure where I'm going with this. Any insights, words of wisdom, would be greatly appreciated. I'd even take a good joke at this point.
Thanks-

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Maybe you didn't mean to hijack the thread, but you did. Please leave the thread open so thomas can get the answer he seeks. If you post your own new thread, I'll reply to it. OR, send me a PM including your e-mail address and I can help with the wiring.

thomasmunka

Cadet

Thanks for the replies!

It has a magneto-distributor facing down

I managed to find some service books for the engine from the public library :)eek::D), but each book is telling me different things...............

I'm thinking that I just line up the flywheel timing marks..and then line up the timing mark on the magneto pulley with the button on the switch

...but I'm not too sure if I also have to line up the line on the magneto body with the line on the magneto pulley and button, or if I should just leave the magneto body at idle when I set the timing marks, or if I should leave the magneto body at full advance

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Tom, My '58 Johnny V4 had the magneto.

To time it, set both sets of points to .020, on top of the cam, 90* apart, then turn the flywheel to match timing marks on pull starter and block. Now advance throttle so that distributor pulley base matches with mark on distributor bracket, and make sure distributor pulley timing mark matches pulley base. Now adjust stainless steel distributor -to-carb link to brass cam, just touched carb rubber roller.

thomasmunka

Cadet

Thanks, got the boat running last night

..I set the timing belt, points, synchronized the linkage, cleaned the carb(s),and got fresh gas

It's kind of popping though and it wont stay on for over a minute or two....I guess I still have to adjust the low speed needles and the impeller and it's set

thanks