Evinrude runs whan bulb is primed

vyger

Cadet
Evinrude runs whan bulb is primed

I have a 1988 200 Evinrude (oil injected)and just got a new water pump installed, when I took it out for the first time after that, I was out about 20 min and the engine was running ok then it quit. I restarted it but it kept stalling out. However when I kept priming the bulb it would keep running.I changed the primer bulb and the hose that led to the engine from it but it still does the same thing. Am I sucking air from somewhere??? or the fuel pump maybe??Anyone have any ideas what to look for.. It almost seems as tho it's running from the gas that's primed to it , then it quits when it runs out....and the primer bulb seems fairly empty...

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude runs whan bulb is primed

When my fuel pump failed, what you are describing is just what happened.<br />Before you replace a fuel pump, though, check for any loose connections anywhere in the fuel circuit. There are several places that might have been disturbed when they disconnected/reconnected the shifter rod when they removed/replaced the lower unit.<br />Be sure you have the vent open on your fuel tank.<br /><br />Charles

vyger

Cadet

Thanks Charles,I looked over the connections around the shift rod because I thought the same thing and don't see any problems there so it may very well be the fuel pump..