Evinrude problems

Rick B

Cadet
Hello,<br /> I have a problem with my '96 e-rude 150 60 deg looper. Engine starts fine and runs fine at all rpm's until I shut her off and let sit for a while. When I try to restart, the engine will idle but try to throttle up and engine boggs, like starving for fuel. Checked compression, fuel line is fine to the pump, including bulb, filters are clean also, and carbs clear. When I have the engine running at idle, and move the primer lever to 45 deg for a second, seems to help, but put it back to run position and boggs again. Eventually the engine will run fine after many attempts at throttle. Any suggestions?<br />Thanks

angus63

Captain
Re: Evinrude problems

How long is a while? Is bulb still firm when you try to restart? Have you checked all fittings from tank to carbs for small air leaks? What condition, type and gap plugs? Recommend Champion QL78YC gapped 0.035"-0.040". If you replace plugs and verify no air leaks, I would then suggest rebuilding carbs, paying special attention to cleaning jets (all of them).

Rick B

Cadet

Plugs are ok, and no air leaks. Engine runs fine, just boggs down when throttle is applied. Can run engine all day, but shut 'er off to fish, and try to start after half hour or so and problems begin.

Rick B

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. Use 89 octane gas and plugs are champion ql87yc. Primer bulb does go flat after a minute or so with engine off and pumped till hard. Could this be the problem? Is the primer bulb supposed to hold pressure longer than that? Bulb is new, so the pressure is being released somewhere in the VRO system. Any suggestions?<br />Thanks

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Have you checked the fuel tank vent yet? The Anti-Syphon vavle? Did you replace the bulb with an OMC one? The pressure is probably being released through a leaky float needle valve in one of the carbs... First thing I would do is take the carbs apart and clean and rebuild them..

angus63

Captain

Ditto Rick. First thing to do is find the leak causing bulb to go soft so quick, and then see what else needs tweaking. After pumping bulb hard first start of the day, never should need to touch it again all day if everything is hermetic.<br />Good Luck