Evinrude or Johnson 28HP motor?

Howard Allen

Seaman Apprentice
I hope someone can end this confusion for me! I have a 28HP OMC motor with a LARK III cowl. I now know that the Lark III is a 40HP motor made by Evirude. I believe that at some point in the past the correct cowl for my motor was lost and they replaced it with the Lark III cowl. The mystery here is that knowledgeable people on this list and another have told me I have a Johnson because the motor is green, which was never used by Evinrude. The green is about right for a Johnson and it looks factory original - every part of the motor is the same color and it is not a spray can job. <br /><br />The model number is 28202C, the serial number is 01761. The engine and leg and all castings are all the same uniform color which looks factory original, a lightish green (like Johnson used on their 1950's 25HP like my grandfather had). Hope this settles the question of whether I have a Johnson or an Evinrude, problem is, I think the number is right for a 1962 28HP Evinrude??? Is there any other marking, like a casting mark I could check for to be sure? The motor has no thermostat, no compression relief, and no intake cover box over the carb, weighs about 100lbs, and, like I said, appears to be factory green. I have the SELOC Evinrude manual for small engines up to 40 HP up to 1970 and it does look similar to the pictures in there, but there probably isn't much difference between Johnson and Evinrude once the covers are off anyways... :confused:

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Evinrude or Johnson 28HP motor?

My book claims that is is 1962 28 hp Evinrude. The book I have is 1988 copywrite by OMC with numbes back to 1913.

Howard Allen

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Evinrude or Johnson 28HP motor?

Clanton, thanks for the confirmation. IT is what I thought. Still a mystery, why/how do I have a Johnson green Evinrude? Like I said, it is not a spray can job, every casting on the engine is the same color...