Evinrude Ocean Pro 200

I'm looking at a used center console with a 97 Ocean Pro 200. I'm not familier with that model and am looking for any history I can find. About all I know is that under the hood it looks a lot like my 85 'rude 4 cylindar, just taller since it's a 6 banger. Engine is very clean and seems to run fine on a short test. Does anyone have any experience with this model?

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Evinrude Ocean Pro 200

Hey Bill, welcome aboard!<br />I've got some time in front of a 175 Ocean Pro.<br />Good engine over-all...the most important thing is how the preventative maitenance was handled.<br />The Timming system on these are quite a bit different, and much more sensitive to adjustments, and I've seen several this last summer that were out of whack on carburation and timming, they just needed a little TLC performed with a manual at hand, no problem...<br />You say you got a short test run...did you notice what WOT RPM was???<br />If we know it's been propped right, it will be in better shape than one that was lugged at all.<br />should be a good one if handled well.

Thanks Kenny,<br />Thanks Kenny,<br />I didn't get the WOT, but should have. The engine looks well cared for, but no specific maintenance record. I'm going to take it to my mechanic for a look see. It does have a new electronic package on it. I also noticed that there's a timing adjustment on the front of the carb cover which is something I hadn't seen before. I'm assuming it needs to be set by a pro and not messed with, correct? It's got two props, a 3 blade 19 degree and a 4 blade 15. The test was on the 19, which seemed to push it fine. The 15 is supposed to have some serious low end power. I'd be interested in how yours is propped as I'm not an expert on that either. <br /><br />FYI, There's another post from last night from qapd concerning a water pressure gauge for this style engine that I replied to. Do you have a pressure gauge and if so where is the sensor tapped in? <br /><br />THanks again for your help.

walleyehed

Admiral

We don't have a water pressure gauge on the 175 but if you'll go back to the other post, Dhadley has explained where to set up the pressure fitting correctly.<br />As for props, we run a 15X17 on a 23ft whaler, which is used for a tow boat, and the outfit I work for won't let me raise the engine to get the max potential out of it, and the 17 is almost too much with the engine clear down.<br />Your prop will depend on which one will get you to 5500+, nothing less.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

I've got that exact engine and year on my boat. So far so good. Starts up quick even the couple times it was below freezing out. Runs strong. Smokes a bunch especially at startup but it's normal for these engines or so I'm told. Pushes my 23 footer well. I use the 14.5X19 stainless. I tried a 15X17 aluminum on it, and it had all kinds of low end power, but it was buzzing above 6000rpm at WOT and under 40MPH. A 15 pitch would be too shallow of a pitch in my opinion, but best bet is to try it out to see what it does on your setup. Might be OK since it's a 4 blade.

walleyehed

Admiral

Yea, don't go second guessing the numbers...each boat can be VERY different, and the pitch means nothing until you have a base-line to go by. There is no "blanket" coverage of any 1 prop.<br />Steve spins a 19 on his 200, I spin a 25 Turbo on my 200 at 5800RPM, and a 27" is still well within my RPM range...Different boats completely.<br />The 175 on the 23 whaler had a 17", but needed a 15" the way it was set up for the correct RPM.<br />Test a known-pitch prop and we'll go from there.

angus63

Captain

I have a 1995 175 oceanpro and use a 4 blade 15 x 16 for a mercury with a hub adapter. For me a 15 put me @ 6k rpm and a 17 put me at 5300 rpm. The 16 pitch puts me at 5750 rpm and seems to have better bite in the snotty inlet days. This is on a 22' trophy walkaround loaded heavy. Even pitch number props (non-OMC) often have adapters available for your motor and give you a better shot at nailing that 5800 rpm WOT target.<br />Good luck

walleyehed

Admiral

For me a 15 put me @ 6k rpm and a 17 put me at 5300 rpm.
This is a classic example of why NO 2 Props are created equal...700RPM spread where it should have only been 400 between a 15 and a 17...<br />This is also why I would hate to recommend a "pitch" when the manufacturers are as far (in some cases)as 3-4" different, but stamped the same pitch.<br />When looking at the one element that has so many different design features, it is of utmost importance to list Manufacture, model, Diameter and pitch, vented, or non-vented.

Thanks for the information. I bought the boat and am experimenting with the 19 for now. I've got to get used to using a jackplate along witht he t/t which I haven't had before, I'll worry about different props once I'm comfortable with the rest of it.

angus63

Captain

Kenny, also the 17 had obvious cupping where the 15 and 16 appeared to have very little or none. That 200 rpm per inch of pitch really only applies when comparing same make and model out of the box props. Remanufactured is a whole nother story.<br />Bill, establish that baseline with your current prop, jackplate, and trim, and then the experiments can begin.<br />Good luck

walleyehed

Admiral

the 15 and 16 are highly inefficient then.<br />Ever put a pitch gage on an "out of box" prop???<br />I've tested more props in the last year than most have ever owned in a lifetime...pitch can vary 2" from one blade to another on the same prop.<br />If a prop shop is worthy of their weight, and uses the correct pitch blocks for the model being repaired, reman is no different than new.<br />
Even pitch number props (non-OMC)
Let's not forget the Raker....all even numbers..... :)