Evinrude/Johnson Motor Swap

soonerdg

Cadet
I've been trying to research this but not coming up with much so I'm must going to ask. I have a 1980 Ranger 235-V with a 80's Evinrude 140HP that has some issues. I also have a Johnson 140 HP from around the same time frame that runs like a top but the boat it's on is trash. I want to swap the motors out. My question is, to do this do I have to swap out the tilt/trim as well or can I just swap the motors? I know the controls are different but I have the Johnson controls so I'll swap them also.

If this has been covered please point me to that thread.

Thanks in advance for your help.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude/Johnson Motor Swap

Do both mtrs have tnt on them ?? If so, you should just be able to swap the mtrs.

rrw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi, is the controls on your ranger the old 2 lever box? I would have thought they both would have been the same single lever type with the same cables. As far as the tilt and trim, isn't it pretty much integrated into the mounts on each motor? Wouldn't it be easier to keep the tilt on each motor? I would think all you have to do is unhook the controls and steering and the round plug that goes to the controls, along with any other wires. unbolt the motor from transom and go from there. Let me know if I'm way off here or if I can help with anything else. Ryan

soonerdg

Cadet

Hey guys thanks for the quick replies. boobie, yes they both have tnt on them.

rrw - no the ranger controls are the single lever but the motor plug is different. I thought it might be just as easy to swap the controls. The reason I'm not wanting to swap the tnt units is I was hoping that I could swap motors without having to unbolt from the transom. Just detach one from the mount and attach the other. Not sure if that's doable. But to get to the motor mount bolts I have to remove a bunch of stuff including the fuel tank. I'm hoping to avoid that if possible but if not then so be it.

rrw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh ok, that makes sense, I can't help you there, whether or not they take the same mount. That would be really cool, save a lot of screwing around. Ryan

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Could you post some pics of what you have here ?? And some model #'s ??

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

like swap out the power heads?? or pull apart the steering tube and disconnect the tilt ram??

all to avoid unbolting the motors from the transoms??

bob