Evinrude intruder 175 issue's

have a 94 Evinrude intruder 175 carbed motor that runs great most of the time.Go to the lake start it up runs great, run to fishing spot stop fish for say an hour go to leave motor starts right up but hit the throttle it bogs down instantly and dies.What I have learned is if I keep going through that routine I can get it to take off after the 3rd or 4th time or I can sit there and rev the motor in neutral for a while (motor sounds like it's running slightly off) and this will clear it out to enough take off to my next spot.Once I get past say the first initial 2000 rpms when dealing with the bogging down issue the motor then runs great again in all ranges afterwords until I get to my next spot and turn the motor off to fish for a while then it returns after sitting again.Installed a brand new fuel pump without the vro oil pump(I self mix fuel) due to it leaking but that did not fix the problem.Replaced fuel primer ball still does it it.When fighting issue on the water primer ball is not rock hard but not soft either.Maybe half a pump returns it to rock hard status which does not help anything.Replaced fuel filter and installed a fuel water separator also. Took it to a second marina and just got it back yesterday and they rebuilt carbs,tried a different power pack and played with it for most of the week and still have been unable to correct the problem.They tore it down to look at cylinders and there opinion is that the rings on number 1 cylinder is not making perfect contact through out the whole cylinder and that is what is causing the issue.With that said they could not really explain why the motor has perfect compression on every cylinder including this one in question and runs like a rapped ape down the lake but only bogs when ran then sits for a length of time but once she clears out runs great again.They suggested I just deal with it or they can rebuild the motor for 4-5000 dollars or just buy a new one.I looked at the cylinders when they had it apart and personally could not see an difference on that cylinder walls from the others with the exception the head of the piston was much cleaner then the rest but they say to a trained eye they can tell.I had them put it back together and said I would deal with it for now.How can a cylinder have bad rings yet have perfect compression and no performance loss at top end and mid range?I am questioning there diagnosis and kinda feel they where tired off this motor and just wanted to get out of there shop.Also said they did not think it was heat soak.What you guys think.Sorry for the long post

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Evinrude intruder 175 issue's

Heat soak, assuming they tested the ignition components when it acted up , its just heat soak affecting the carbs.(vaporizing fuel)

Solution to try ; don't shut the engine off immediately, let it idle or troll around to cool down the block and pump bulb to fill bowls with cold fuel.
A temperature guage would help show whats happening.

The problem is the design of the engine cover cowl, not enough airflow in some climates.

You can also try removing the cowl when you stop, see if it starts quicker with some cooling down.

Dealers should know this, but carbs jobs are easy money.:mad:

Re: Evinrude intruder 175 issue's

Thanks for the reply.I will try letting it idle a little before shutting it down next time out and see if that does not help.I am also going to do a good decarb, since carbon can raise motor temps from what I have been told to see if that can help.It just did not make sense that a cylinder can have perfect compression reading at 2 different marina's and run great down the lake but one says rings are causing it on one cylinder.1 cylinder should not kill a whole motor either.Just did not make sense but if everything else has been checked heat soak only makes sense.Thanks.